Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What to pack for first time Moose hunt?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbelly View Post
    That is what I assumed, but does wearing a standard size backpack ( less than 20 litres), violate the hunter orange requirements?
    As long as you're wearing a vest or jacket and cap that meets all blaze orange requirements,wearing your back pack over it doesn't technically violate those requirements under the Act. There's no specific offense listed,however,it may be prudent to use a pack with a pull-out blaze orange insert or make a cover just for safety's sake. I've been checked many times while wearing a day pack and there's never been an issue simply because the pack can quickly be removed leaving a hunter in instant full compliance.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

everything mentioned sounds good. just don`t forget your sense of humor, your ability to take a good ribbing, and leave your complaining at home. Your going to have a wonderfull experience..enjoy!!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyRookie View Post
    That's allot of boats, and doesn't seem economical
    Okay I like a warm pair for everyday s pair of rubbers for wet areas and a pair of somthing for around camp. He is driving to camp
    So no need to pack super light for a fly in hunt

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygeezer View Post
    everything mentioned sounds good. just don`t forget your sense of humor, your ability to take a good ribbing, and leave your complaining at home. Your going to have a wonderfull experience..enjoy!!
    You nailed it
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

.......and don't forget a roll of toilet paper,especially,if there's a Chili night in camp.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    .......and don't forget a roll of toilet paper,especially,if there's a Chili night in camp.
    From many years of experience.....best to make that 3 or 4 rolls

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Boot dryer is a must for me! Nice to slide your feet into warm dry boots on a cold morning. Preparation H, just in case..... Above all the gear don't forget that this is a great vacation and harvesting a moose is just bonus... Lastly don't forget to bring a big pile of patience!! Will be lots of hours staring at the beautiful scenery
    Endeavour to Persevere

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Depending on the weather you may want some bug dope

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pol-Dawg View Post
    I've had a few years to collect these invaluable items and due to the fact that we sit for the entire day out on the stand, it's saved my .

1) Never underestimate the value of technical clothing (Base Layers)
    - Under Armour Skin Tight Base Layer
    - Under Armour Base Layer 3.0 or 4.0 (depending on how cold it is)
    - Breathable, wicking sweaters
    and on the cold days, I have a North Face down jacket that can collapse into a small ball, I love it and am so happy that I have it. You put that on and do a couple push-ups or squats and to generate body heat and the down jacket does the rest. It's simply a must in cold weather combined with very little movement.

2) Non-scented pre-packaged wet wipes
    - For your hands (if you want to eat lunch with some what of clean hands)
    - For your .
    It comes in small package, easily packable and if it rains, it doesn't get soaked like TP would sitting in your bag.
    3) Sunflower seeds (or chewing tobacco)

4) Some guys may complain about this but I have a small MSR Pocket Rocket Stove (http://www.basspro.com/MSR-PocketRoc...product/45441/), I can run it on the lowest setting and it makes no sound and will slowly warm up a soup or chilli for lunch. Or, a fresh cup of tea before you get ready for the evening push.

Lastly, nothing beats a cellphone that has 3G or 4G access... If you have it than a Mophie battery power station will become your best friend. I have one that can charge my phone 3 times.

Hope this helps.
    I know some folks are not happy with Under Armour but they have the best base layer clothing bar none. I use 4.0 and 3.0 for ice fishing and late season hunting and it is worth every (expensive) penny IMO. You can actually feel the sweat being absorbed from your body, GPS and extra batteries are another winner
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast