Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVA Wolf Marks on primer

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default CVA Wolf Marks on primer

Was going to fire a few rounds to start getting prepared for deer season but after firing first shot noticed that there were marks on either side of the firing pin strike that look like the primer was forced back into the pin housing. They match the slot that use use to remove the pin housing. I can't remember if this is normal or not .

Same load for several years. 2 50 grain white hots and 250 grain barnes sabot.
    I have to use this phone for internet so no pics.
    Thoughts ?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

mayby time for a new nipple .D

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    mayby time for a new nipple .D
    Was actually considering that anyways dutch. Only a hundred or so rounds through it but probably still a good idea.
    Thanks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I wish I knew a little more about what you are describing as I was out shooting mine today too....
    Best of luck
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    I wish I knew a little more about what you are describing as I was out shooting mine today too....
    Best of luck
    Are there any marks on your fired primers other than the firing pin strike ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Are there any marks on your fired primers other than the firing pin strike ?
    Not that I noticed....but then I never really examined them closely... I didn't keep any either....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Best of luck
    On the primer it looks like Morse code. Dash dot dash . -.-
    The dot is even with the dashes.
    Ordered new breach plug off eBay today.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Is your firing pin retainer tight?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Yes.
    Haven't fired the gun yet but the new plug has a flash hole one third the size of the old one so i think that was the problem.
    Will confirm once i have flung some lead down range.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Normally, CVA uses a .028'' flash hole for most powders. If you use BH209, they have a special plug with a .035'' flash hole and also a .120'' flash channel instead of .116''. I have both plugs and have verified these sizes. 209 primers leave a lot of carbon behind, especially Winchester, and the easiest way to clean it is with drill bits. A rep from Western Powders recommended an item called EEZY-BREECH from www.plugcleaner.com. I got it last year and is it a bargain and easy to set up and use. They are supplying me with a .035'' flash hole cleaner this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast