Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVA Wolf Marks on primer

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Went out this evening with the new breach plug . Got the same marks on the primer just not as deep.
    Not gonna fire it again until i get it figured out. So you fellas get no marks on your primers other than firing pin ?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have a CVA Accura that is new for this season. I see the marks from the retaining nut for the firing pin on some of my primers. Not the first few but after firing about 4 or 5. I use a blackhorn breech plug which has a .035'' flash hole as opposed to the standard .028''. It is possible that the pressure build up increases as the hole shrinks and thus forcing the primer a little harder against the retainer leaving those marks. I haven't experienced any issues with it and I believe this to be normal. Just make sure the carbon is out of your flash channel and flash hole. Try the Eezy-Breech cleaners for this as they make it very easy to get it to the proper opening.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thanks DJB. That's what I was looking for.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Finally got some time to shoot the Wolf again and decided to try a fouling shot as I normally just fire from a dry bore.
    You guessed it Same marks on primer. Just not as deep. So not a pressure issue . Thanks for the replies.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If you google the youtube frontier muzzleloader has some awesome videos on cva muzzleloaders. One thing you can do it adjust the firing pin bushing and also buy a 1 in 32 mm drill bit to clean the flash channel. I have a cva optima with a regular and blackhorn 209 breech plug. Nice guns for the money.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

An Eezy-Breech tool is the best way to clean your primer pocket, flash channel and flash hole. They are less than 20.00US, shipping included. Check out their website. I was pointed there by a rep from Western Powders.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I got the marks on a brand new previously unfired plug as well though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12