Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking for help

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Newbie looking for help

Hi,

This is my first year hunting but so far my buddy who got me into hunting has managed to find 101 reason why he can't go hunting just like in spring. I have gone out twice on my own but being a newbie and not owning a lot of camo clothes or other hunting equipment, I have not been very successful. I have read a lot and watch a number of video over the summer so I believe I have a good foundation.

I'm hoping someone from Ottawa West (I live in Kanata) would be willing be teach me a few things and take me out for either duck or geese hunting.

Thanks,
    Kris

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

welcome to the site. But just a note you don't need camo to hunt. You don't need camo for small game or deer. Hunting takes patience. In fact I don't own any camo and I get geese and ducks, grouse, rabbits.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hi guys looking for a place to go duck hunting can anybody help me I am from Toronto i am new to a duck hunting

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

To the "newbies"...

I'd suggest you find a reliable friend that will take out and be willing to teach you a few things. Make sure you're equipped with your own shotgun, shells, a set of waders and lots of warm, dry clothes. Don't be afraid to pitch in some money for gas, coffee, beer or whatever else you can contribute in lieu of the lack of experience and equipment.

You'll find that strangers will be not as willing to take you out hunting as us waterfowlers are "protective" of our "spots". You may not have much luck finding people who are jumping at the chance to take a "newbie" out because it's essentially "babysitting" for the first little bit, but on the other hand, brining a new person hunting can develop into another great hunting partner.

Remember that we all started off as a first time hunter, so try to learn as much as you can each time you head afield. Before long you'll be a seasoned veteran.

Finally, I'd suggest that you invest a couple hundred dollars in a guided hunt someplace. Search out a good guide and spend the day with him/her to enjoy a good hunt from an experienced hunter who is being paid for their services. It will be an enjoyable learning experience at a fraction of the cost of the trial and error of learning on your own.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck!!

Cheers,

Marc
    GoHuntBirds_com
    Owner/Operator @ GoHuntBirds_com

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Marc, Excellent post. I started waterfowl hunting 5 years ago, got interested after puddle jumping a few teal and mallards at a local farm I had permission for. I then started to read magazines, watch videos and enjoy the posts from the great people on this forum. After investing in some equipment, I searched for public waters to hunt. I would meet hunters at the docks and ask questions...... Fumbled a few times but you learn each time you make a mistake and eventually get better and better each time out (sometimes worse!).

As suggested, hire a guide and see how it's done or, join DU/Delta and come out to some events and meet people.

RB

Member for Life

User Info Menu

X2 with what Allumette said.

also be sure to stay active with this ste. Occassionally you will see someone post to take Newbies out. I have taken out several new people each year, but currently I already have several people I'm taking and just no more room this year.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

http://www.oodmag.com/community/show...Area-Locations

I'm not 100% sure whats available to you around Ottawa, but there will definitely by some crown land close(ish) by to hunt.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Larose Forest is one place. But you need to look at the city maps as some areas are NO Discharge areas meaning you cannot hunt in those areas. Lot's of land North of Kanata as well.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

If you're willing to drive a half hour or so from Kanata there are lots of private and public spots to hunt anywhere from Arnprior, Carp, Carleton Place, Kemptville, etc.

You'll have to get in your vehicle and pound some pavement. Bring your binoculars and be prepared to knock on some doors.

I also agree with Greatwhite, stay active on this site and you'll run into some great people who might be willing to share a hunt with you.

Good luck!!

Cheers,

Marc
    GoHuntBirds_com
    Owner/Operator @ GoHuntBirds_com

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Pay attention to what Allumette is suggesting, Marc knows his stuff. As a relative newbie that went on a hunt with Marc and the rest of his team this fall, the more you can glean from more experienced hunters the better. Experience in the field trumps any internet, video, book or magazine learning you can do, though it does help,

TurkeyJohn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast