Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Who Owns Farmland

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Finding Who Owns Farmland

Hello All!

Brand spanking new hunter here (just passed my PAL and Hunting course this weekend). I have a question that I have been struggling with the while trying to plan for my first hunt next year (thanks a lot RCMP for a 3 month wait time for PAL's).

I live in Cannington, a community in the middle of endless farm fields. Many of these farms are nice locations for hunting turkey or rabbit because of the combination of streams, fields and forests. How do you know who owns certain fields or forests? Is there any way to find out this information so you can ask for permission to hunt on their land?

I am hoping some of you more experienced hunters can help me out with this. Thank you so much!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

your best bet is to start knocking on doors and mayby asking around at the local coffee shop.farmers have a habit of hitting the local coffee hangouts after chores around here anyways .Dutch

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Like Dutch has said, I would knock on doors and you'll be surprised what information you can find. Locals usually all know who owns what land.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Knock on the doors and introduce yourself, not a lot of farmers would be too receptive to somebody who looked up their names, addresses, and holdings through online and municipal office sleuthing.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Look for the farmhouse. Drive up (probably not on a Sunday). Knock. Be well dressed. Be polite.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

So what I am gathering is find the fields/forests you are interested, and ask the farm houses that are nearby to learn who owns those parcels of land.

Thank you to all who gave your advice!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Go to the local feed store and make small talk with who ever is behind the counter. They will know the farmers in the area and the gossip. Plus farmers hang around at them and swop story's.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Go up and ask. Simple as that. Maybe introduce yourself first.

Quote Originally Posted by arvanlaar View Post
    Hello All!

Brand spanking new hunter here (just passed my PAL and Hunting course this weekend). I have a question that I have been struggling with the while trying to plan for my first hunt next year (thanks a lot RCMP for a 3 month wait time for PAL's).

I live in Cannington, a community in the middle of endless farm fields. Many of these farms are nice locations for hunting turkey or rabbit because of the combination of streams, fields and forests. How do you know who owns certain fields or forests? Is there any way to find out this information so you can ask for permission to hunt on their land?

I am hoping some of you more experienced hunters can help me out with this. Thank you so much!
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

The township office will know.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Land registry office will have all you want to know. The rest is up to you.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast