Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to start, and stop baiting for the gun season

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default When to start, and stop baiting for the gun season

I have never put any bait on the ground so I would like to know your opinion on when to start putting corn down for the upcoming gun season, when do you stop putting it down? I have access to private property with two stands already set up over an oak, I have corn and also acorns.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You can start baiting anytime, I know guy's who start baiting 1 - 2 months in advance some even longer and some as late as a few days before.

Stop baiting anytime, but obviously stop if your done hunting.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nothing illegal about baiting in Ontario (except migratory birds and turkeys)

Bait away, no need to stop before your hunt

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

We usually start around the first of October for the first Monday in November gun hunt. Depending on the amount of apples we have it is 2 or 3 times a week. Each stand will get a 2 gallon pail each feeding. We continue to feed each day during the hunt with each stand getting maybe a gallon.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

If you decide to bait, try to let it run out for a day or two before you put more down. This will keep them checking. Every area is different of course, but we've had deer go completely nocturnal due to baiting because we were using too much. If they've always got a big pile of corn to munch on, what's the sense of moving about in daylight hours at all? The only exception to this seems to be during a really cold spell, when they will hit the bait a few times a day. Just something to think about if you decide to give baiting a try.

If you want to get them coming in for the gun season, I would start now. As already said, stop when you're done hunting.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    . Every area is different of course, but we've had deer go completely nocturnal due to baiting because we were using too much.
    Good post GW..a lot of truth to that.

I would say that these guys have go a little carried away with their bait pile.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Deer are browsers in general too, they will eat a bit and move on, not generally sticking around too long like bears on a bait.

One of the guys at the old hunt camp would place 3 apples every morning at each stand, if he had 3 friends hunting he would place 3 apples each day at each of the 3 stands. He shot many deer moving from one stand to another looking for those apples around 10am.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I believe I screwed up last year with the BIG bait pile....always deer pics but nearly always nocturnal. Except for the piggy bear that set up camp there lol. Moderation for me this time around. Hope that has different results

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    If you decide to bait, try to let it run out for a day or two before you put more down. This will keep them checking. Every area is different of course, but we've had deer go completely nocturnal due to baiting because we were using too much. If they've always got a big pile of corn to munch on, what's the sense of moving about in daylight hours at all? The only exception to this seems to be during a really cold spell, when they will hit the bait a few times a day. Just something to think about if you decide to give baiting a try.

If you want to get them coming in for the gun season, I would start now. As already said, stop when you're done hunting.
    Really interesting observation.
    It matches what I've seen on trail cam evidence.
    I'm thinking of going back to just traditional hunting. No bait. Just tree stands in well travelled areas.

Anyone else get an impression over nocturnal only activity over corn?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Apples and acorns are a little more natural than a big bait pile of corn. Deer will disappear if pressured. I would try that deer feeder you bought. Hang it off the ground so the coons do not eat the bait. In southern ontario still a lot of food on the ground so tougher to bait. I started apples a week before bow season and it has worked but buddy has a tag so like to try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast