Thread: Any ideas for a DIY layout blind?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Any ideas for a DIY layout blind?

Too poor lately for store bought, and most Google searches seem to bulky for my style. Any light weight ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
    I have tools and know-how.
    burlap etc.
    Been thinking padded backrest and burlap, but I'm new to field hunting so looking for wisdom.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

It's all about how comfortable you want to be. Laying on the ground with some sort of burlap/camo netting over top of you with whatever stubble is in the field on top of that would work just fine. Make sure if you're not covering your face you're wearing face paint or a face mask. You can't get anymore low profile than that. If you wanted to get your back off the ground a bit for comfort and an easier sit up then rig up some sort of wedge. One tip would be to somehow rig up your cover material with some sort of stubble straps to hold the cover on so that you're not losing it every time you move or get up to shoot. Also make sure your cover material is mudded to remove any shine and blend in better.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

My first layout blind was a simple set up. For a back rest a rectangular piece of ply wood with a hinged arm for support. A camping air mattress to lye on and a piece of burlap too cover. All you need to do is pile on the veg material on either side of you once you laydown pull the green over you an you are good too go.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I got a roll off real old camo carpet stuff .I is a chunk of foam under me and just pull a chunk of the carpet over me .I have four of us hide last week .will see if I can find a pic Dutch

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Old lounge chair cut legs off paint camo grab a piece of foam and burlap cover...use jute twine to tie on vegitation youll be hunting and giv'r

camo
    somedays your the pigeon
    somedays your the statue

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Youtube man...I got lots of great ideas
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

not that this would be the cheapest but probably cheaper than store bought. I have seen guys make frames out of pvc piping, to keep the blind up off of them, than some sort of wedged plywood for your backrest and a camo cover with stubbled in natural cover.

just an idea. youtube would have some ideas to show you how to build stuff.
    My name is BOWJ..... and I am a waterfowl addict!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

one of those pool lounge chairs, cut off the legs real short, and if you want the back to go down more, remove/modify whatever stops it from reclining more.
    "Summer was fun, fall is here lets go out and kill a deer." Ted Nugent

Yes, I'm a member of P.E.T.A.- People Eating Tasty Animals