Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhorn 209 question .......

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Default Blackhorn 209 question .......

The search function failed to reveal the info I am looking for - hence some questions ......

Has anyone here successfully used the following .50 bullets with Blackhorn 209 powder?
    - Powerbelt Aerolite
    - Hornady FPB
    - TC Shockwave Super Glide

If so, which primer type worked well? What bullets weights? What grains of powder (in terms of volumetric measure) worked well?

I understand that results vary from ML to ML ...... nevetheless, appreciate any/all feedback. In my particular case, I intend to experiment with the bullet types (250 and some 300gr) mentioned above. I plan to use CCI and Win primers. The rifle is a TC Triumph.

Thanks,
    Last edited by sharps4570; November 6th, 2014 at 06:28 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4570 View Post
    The search function failed to reveal the info I am looking for - hence some questions ......

Has anyone here successfully used the following .50 bullets with Blackhorn 209 powder?
    - Powerbelt Aerolite
    - Hornady FPB
    - TC Shockwave Super Glide

If so, which primer type worked well? What bullets weights? What grains of powder (in terms of volumetric measure) worked well?

I understand that results vary from ML to ML ...... nevetheless, appreciate any/all feedback. In my particular case, I intend to experiment with the bullet types (250 and some 300gr) mentioned above. I plan to use CCI and Win primers. The rifle is a TC Triumph.

Thanks,
    Shotgun primers winchester 209 . Sent me a pm and can bring my ml to the club and we can play with our smoke poles. I used 70 by volume metric. There is a new ml bullet that is available from federal. I have some barnes, hornady sabots we could play with. Not crazy about power belts. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/69934/...ets-50-caliber. These sabots are new and look like a very good product.
    Last edited by pbonura; November 7th, 2014 at 07:15 AM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Sure, will contact you later during this week and see if next weekend may be mutually convenient. The Federal bullet looks interesting. The last time I took out my ML was couple years ago and never really got around to determining the appropriate powder/bullet combo. Anyway, I'm keen on bringing that out of dormancy and set it up properly this time.

Asking out of curiosity, did 70 per volumetric measure deliver enough pressure? As per Blackhorn load data, 100 volume measure equates to 70 grains of 209 (weighed by scale).
    Last edited by sharps4570; November 7th, 2014 at 09:14 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Sure, will contact you later during this week and see if next weekend may be mutually convenient. The Federal bullet looks interesting. The last time I took out my ML was couple years ago and never really got around to determining the appropriate powder/bullet combo. Anyway, I'm keen on bringing that out of dormancy and set it up properly this time.

Asking out of curiosity, did 70 per volumetric measure deliver enough pressure? As per Blackhorn load data, 100 volume measure equates to 70 grains of 209 (weighed by scale).
    Just tried 70 grains by weight which equals 100 volume. A light load but can pull out the blackhorn 209 scales and bump it up. I have never played around with the gun so just tried the light loads. I prefer using my shotgun but always worth playing around with it. http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-conte...loaderdata.pdf
    Last edited by pbonura; November 7th, 2014 at 09:45 AM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have successfully used TC Shockwaves in both 250 and 300 grain with BH209. I don't shoot any other powder. Western Powders does not recommend Winchester primers as they are the dirtiest and my flash hole was impossible to clean with a tip cleaner and had to use a .028'' drill bit to bring it back to size. On my Kodiak, I drilled the flash hole to .035'' from the recommendations of the powder rep. They also recommend Federal 209 primers or CCI and told me to stay away from Winchester primers and do not use muzzle loader primers as they are not hot enough. I settled on Hornady 250 gr. SST's for deer. Was using 80 gr./vol. BH209 in my Kodiak. Got an Accura this year and it likes 100gr.+ with the 250 SST's and can keep them in a 4'' group at 200 yds. and under 1'' at 100 yds. Called in and shot 3 bucks this week for our group. All shots less than 50 yds. Exit wounds the size of a twoonie. Did not have that with 80gr. All three lung shots and did not go more than 25 yds.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

BH209 recommends only CCI and Federal shotshell primers ..... guess I will need to pick up a box of Federal and leave the Winchester product home.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

BH209 recommends only CCI and Federal shotshell primers ..... guess I will need to pick up a box of Federal and leave the Winchester product home.
    May also have to do the same.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

My TC Impact LOVES BH 209 in this recipe:

1. 90 grains of powder (vol. measurement)
    2. CCI primers
    3. TC Shockwaves 250 slugs with the BLACK sabot.

Impressive consistent accuracy with no misfires for 10-15 shots without cleaning.
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Darn I just picked up a pack of Winchester primers. Have not had a chance to fire them yet.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have been using my Winchester primers to foul my barrel for the first shot. Then I clean the plug with my Eezy-Breech tools, load up and start shooting. I have shot 10 to 12 rounds without cleaning. This year, I ran out of my 250 SST's with the red low drag sabots. There were none available locally so I tried a 50 box of 250 SST's and a 50 pack of the black sabots for XTP's. At the range I fired 3 shots which grouped 1'' high and 1'' left of center at 100 yds. I said good enough for the hunt and out of time to make changes. I shot my 3 bucks and a 100 yd. coyote with this. They were not much harder to push than the low drag down my dirty barrel. I would stay with them except for the higher cost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast