Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 year old venision still good?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Chunked up, not vacuum packed I wouldn't spend money making it edible. If you got a grinder process some make chile if its good do the rest if not find some one with a dog.

I have a grinder and I have multiple dogs that eat raw dog food so I'm covered if it's not fit for human consumption.

Thanks

Dave

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

What is the difference between "backstraps" and tenderloins?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Backstraps fun along the top of the spine. Some people take them out bonless and some do them into chops. Tenderloin is on the underside of the spine back towards the pelvis. I think backstraps do sometimes get referred to as tenderloins but this is how I know them.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I've got one pack left over from 2012 that was hiding somewhere in the freezer. It was wrapped in freezer paper and then saran wrap from the butcher. Not a bit of freezer burn on it.

I don't know how yours was packed, but you won't know until you thaw it out.
    Learn all you can about nature. What we don't understand, we fear and what we fear, we destroy.
    Teach a young person to hunt and fish, after all, someone taught you.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    How does venison get to be two years old?
    By being between 1 and 3 years old I'm guessing

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Nothing worse than the taste of freezer burned meat. I suppose you can try to eat it, and if it's bad, the dogs will eat well....

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I wraped mine in freezer paper then vacum seal it.
    after year or so it is still good and no freezer burn,paper really protect it against that...

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I find the easiest way to explain the difference between a backstrap and a tenderloin on a deer is to look at a buthcher cut beef T-bone steak. The small more tender side of the steak is the filet mignon or tenderloin and the bigger not as tender side of the bone is the strip loin or backstrap.
    John

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Freezer burned meat, is just dried out. It won't kill you. Use it for burger , jerky , stew or whatever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12