Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camo and hunter orange?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Camo and hunter orange?

So after completing my hunting course last weekend, I learned that you must have a rather large amount of hunter orange on your person at all times to legally hunt in Ontario (obviously there are some exceptions but for the most part this is true). I do not understand why anyone bothers with buying and wearing camo if they have a ginormous swatch of orange on there head and body. My wife pointed out that at least the rest of your body is hidden a bit more but when i think about it, it doesn't seem that that would really matter when an animal sees a moving pylon coming towards it.

Just wondering what you all thought. Feel free to put me in my place if I am thinking about this the wrong way
    Totally new to hunting. Please excuse my ignorance. That is all.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Hunter orange not required for turkey. Hunter orange not required for bow hunting. Also not required for migratory birds I think.
    So put camo back on the christmas list.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Welcome to the fraternity! There have been more than a few discussions within this forum, on this very subject. Pour a good stiff drink and await the plethora of responses. While you're waiting, do a search and read the sillyness of camo/blaze orange discussions that have graced these pages.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arvanlaar View Post
    I do not understand why anyone bothers with buying and wearing camo if they have a ginormous swatch of orange on there head and body.
    I think you answered your own question...camo isn't required to hunt deer..camo is just so you can impress your buddies and look sexy for the wife

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I hunt alot and for me orange is only required for the one week controlled hunt for deer. Turkey, waterfowl and bow hunting is for the camo.
    "I may not have gone where I was supposed to go, but I ended up where I was supposed to be"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Deer don't see orange, so pylons don't alarm them.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

When I started hunting, I bought a blaze orange 3 in 1 parka for deer hunting.
    If I could do it over, I would have saved money by just buying a cheap orange vest and a camo parka that I could also use for turkey and waterfowl.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You need 400sq inches of orange plus an orange hat, (basically an orange hunting vest and cap to be legal)during an open gun season for big game regardless of the species of game you are going to be hunting unless its waterfowl (ducks/geese).... When there is no open gun season for big game in your WMU, hunter orange isn't required.....That being said wearing hunter orange for most game is a good (safe) thing to do.

Most animals are colour blind so camo is not necessary for hunting, the advertising gods just make us believe it is...
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Maximus44 and skeeter1 said it all-hunting clothing for all purpose(wind-cold-rain -burr protection)-likely camo,it is today's trend...then throw orange vest and hat on top of it ,when required.

Now-do you need camo for hunting at all is another topic.............

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I like camo cause it don't show the dirt . :-)
    ' This is God's country don't make it look like Hell '
    OFAH member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast