Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Removing game seal for pictures

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty View Post
    Where did I say I was looking how to best frame a hero shot for my facebook feed? I was asking a simple question because i appreciate good photography and I dont want to be considered a "poacher" if i took a picture without a tag in it.

I guess "newbies" aren't welcome here.

I decided to look it up and it's not illegal. The only requirement is that a seal remain attached while being TRANSPORTED. Ontario Regulation 665/98 section 17. I'm sure there are COs on this site who can perhaps tell us for certain.

I apologize for being a "newbie" and asking a question and seeking input. I was not trying to argue anything and i apologize if i offended anyone. Yes, i'm new to the board, but not to the woods and I dont think we should be judging people based the amount of posts they have"
    You received your answer, then decided to argue the point.

You then used the electronic box you're sitting in front of, and looked it up.......case closed.

There may very well be COs on here. If there are, they NEVER weigh in on these discussions, trust me, I've been in on more that a few. And a bevy of amateur lawyers that we tend to drum up with these discussion points never seem to agree.

Personally, if you're taking a pic right where you dropped it, and aren't moving it, then it's probably OK. But once you move it, you're technically transporting, and need the tag.

Sorry if I maybe flamed you a bit, it's been a long day. Welcome to the forums.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I think that this is one stupid rule, i believe some of these rules need to be updated to say the least. I do not believe anyone who is taking a picture of a deer that they shot has any intension of breaking the rules, they are not dragging it out of the bush or transporting it, should be of no alarm with the mnr. They need to rethink some laws that are antiquated to say the least. Now i feel better getting that off my chest. Just take the d-- picture.

Moose on the Brain

User Info Menu

So you have the game carcass somewhere between to kill site and the butcher table...What do you call it's status? Is it in storage? or is it in transportation.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I had a quick look at the regs. The way I read it is ..... you need to tag immediately at kill sight and tag remains on while transporting. I don't see anything in the reg that says the tag needs to stay on. If you were butchering at the end of the week, at the camps hanging pole, could you remove the tags as soon as they got there? I would never recommend this, but why can't you?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ysyg View Post
    I had a quick look at the regs. The way I read it is ..... you need to tag immediately at kill sight and tag remains on while transporting. I don't see anything in the reg that says the tag needs to stay on. If you were butchering at the end of the week, at the camps hanging pole, could you remove the tags as soon as they got there? I would never recommend this, but why can't you?
    Well from the F&G act - it looks like that is okay. But I've had CO's in camp and played 20 questions with them, and I think you'd be in for a verrrrry long night and likely a trip back to the kill site if you were found with an untagged deer in camp - and you gave the explanation that you tagged it, then took the tag off at camp because you were done transporting it.

If you are going to try that - you'd better keep the removed tag around...but then again - there is no legal requirement for that either.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I go as far as throwing the tag in with the first bag of meat that goes into the bottom of the freezer. Certainly not required but its easy enough and its one last bag that I need to label.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Well from the F&G act - it looks like that is okay. But I've had CO's in camp and played 20 questions with them, and I think you'd be in for a verrrrry long night and likely a trip back to the kill site if you were found with an untagged deer in camp - and you gave the explanation that you tagged it, then took the tag off at camp because you were done transporting it.

If you are going to try that - you'd better keep the removed tag around...but then again - there is no legal requirement for that either.
    I fully agree with you and would never try this or recommend it, Maybe it will get reviewed before the next regs are out. I think we all understand the intent behind the tagging process.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ysyg View Post
    That will get very expensive in a hurry !

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I don't know if this is correct or not, but I have read about guys being charged for taking photos at the kill site before tagging. Apparently this violates the "immediately afix a tag" rule. If that is a violation, I for one will not takea chance by removing a tag for a photo op. If interpretation is grey why take the risk of trying to defend yourself in front of a judge? Some things just aren't worth the risk.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Ontario Regulation 665/98 which is the regulation made under the fish and wildlife conservation act states that:

17. (1) The holder of a licence who has killed a moose, deer, elk, bear, wild turkey, wolf or coyote shall,
    (a) immediately after the kill and at the site of the kill attach the seal provided with or purchased for the licence or licence tag to the game wildlife in the manner indicated in the instructions that accompany the seal; and
    (b) keep the seal attached to the game wildlife while it is being transported and, in the case of wild turkey, keep the seal attached to the wild turkey until it is prepared for consumption. O. Reg. 276/05, s. 1; O. Reg. 529/10, s. 2 (1); O. Reg. 48/11, s. 1.