Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal Premium Trophy Copper; B.O.R. Lock MZ System

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Federal Premium Trophy Copper; B.O.R. Lock MZ System

Saw this Federal ad for a new sabot-less bullet. Neat idea, worth buying a pack to see how it performs.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Looks like something worth trying for sure. Kind of an added take on the powerbelts which don't do so well. Only downside I see is that like all Barnes, Hornady style bullets they will not dump most or all of the energy inside the animal.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Expensive but next year I may buy them just sighting in my ml. They look awesome and easy to load and very accurate. Cabelas in canada has them. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrvD3I1hygg
    Last edited by pbonura; December 14th, 2014 at 09:02 AM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I had settled on TC shockwave 250 and Hornady 250 SST's. Up to last year, I was using them with 80 grains of BH209. This year I upped it to 100 grains with a new gun. The difference in the exit wounds was quite substantial and surprised me. I will have to try them to see if they hit harder and keep the same grouping for the long shots.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I see Randy Wakeman has provided some specs on the new bullet...

Federal has not yet provided a ballistic coefficient for their new bullet, but Federal does claim 2198 fps muzzle velocity with 120 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 from a 24 inch test barrel. Based on the 1358 fps retained velocity at 200 yards published by Federal with this load, the 200 yard B.C. is .167. Federal also publishes 1794 fps with two T7 pellets, with a 200 yard velocity of 1125. This also equates to a 200 yard B.C. of .167

Although being .50 caliber with fairly light for caliber weight prevents it from having a high ballistic coefficient, it is slightly better than a .452 diameter, 250 grain Hornady XTP. If you remove the base and polymer ring from this bullet assembly, you have essentially a 250 grain bullet. Note the 275 grain Trophy Copper slug used in Federal's 20 gauge saboted round has a published B.C. of .171. As a shooting B.C. varies quite a bit in concert with ambient conditions, using a static B.C. of .167 should be close enough for starting purposes.
    Federal has done a good job here. If you're using Blackhorn 209 with this new Federal bullet, you'll never lick a patch again. You can leave all your cotton patches, swabbing solvents, Bore Butter, short starters, and other assorted oddities of inconvenience at home.
    from: http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_tr...mz_bullet.html

edit add: he also has posted a Video doing some shooting...looks like a winner:

Sorry pboruna..I thought your link was to the Cabela's site

Last edited by MikePal; December 15th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Just went and looked at those bad boys, sure looks like they'll get the job done.....

Apprentice

User Info Menu

This bullet appears to be the future for muzzle loading if its track record holds up.
    I do like the fact it adjusts to bore size. It’s also cheaper than the 250TEZ from Barnes.
    Not carrying a separate sabot is a bonus.

Curious as how it will hold-up to smokeless pressures? Even though I have a large supply of shooting components already on hand this is an itch I might have to scratch in the near future.

Ed

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Same here. Going to buy a pack!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ET1 View Post
    Curious as how it will hold-up to smokeless pressures?
    In regards to a thread you posted earlier Ed, I wonder if the ease of loading this bullet will provide enough back pressure to help get ignition/consistent for a burn in an SML ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast