Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal Premium Trophy Copper; B.O.R. Lock MZ System

Apprentice

User Info Menu

MikePal

Good question.
    Offhand I don’t see why not because of the mechanical diameter expansion property to seal the bore. In essence it would basically duplicate what a bullet does when it obturates.
    With a sabot the lower cup actually seals the bore when it’s flared from pressure. I would enjoy comparing a 250gr load with a sabot as it is slightly over 260grs when you include sabot weight to the new Federal 270gr bullet. Don’t know how much significant difference would exist with 10gr load difference between the two other than actual flight when the sabot is discarded.

Thinking about the unknowns has intensified this itch a little more.

Ed

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Interesting.....might have to give these a try.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Does anyone know where these can be purchased in the Kingston area?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Tried 270gr Federal premium with 90, 100 and 110 T7, remington primers, CVA Accura V2, 200 yard range yesterday. Just prefer to do not exceed 110gr of T7 since this is 126.5 equivalent of Pyrodex. It's good, 1 3/4" group of 3 shoots on 200 yard. I was running two dry patches after every shot and cleaned breach plug hole. Comparing to Hornady SST 250gr, SST gives same or slightly better accuracy, as well as a bit better ballistic coefficient, Federal is less flatten due to the weight I guess.

So, I'm still not sure how it would work with dirty bore.Will try next time
    But since I clean bore afer every shot, SST is slightly better choice to me.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

How'bout some 350 grain bullet?

Federal has released a lead muzzleloader bullet, which has the potential to really help in-line muzzleloaders reach out. In particular, the .50-caliber bullet has the weight — 350 grains — and ballistic coefficient — .209 — to more than go the distance. The projectile also looks to provide devastating terminal ballistics with impressive expansion aided by its polymer tip.

The bullet is equipped with Federal’s B.O.R. Lock MZ System, an innovation that helps the projectile reach its full potential. The system is a polymer cup with a fiberglass base that sits about halfway down the base of the bullet upon loading. After firing, the cup moves forward on the bullet on to obturating ramps, which expands it, creating the gas seal and bearing surface of the projectile.

Federal boasts the system creates a true 200-yard muzzleloader due to its superior internal ballistics. As an added bonus, the company points out the fiberglass base cleans the bore upon loading.

While Federal did not place a MSRP on the new lead muzzleloader bullets, a number of online retailers are presently selling 15 packs in the $20 range.
    http://www.gundigest.com/article/fed...eloader-bullet

I sure wish we could get them at that price.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

The review on them say there not worth it , no accuracy.
    The reviews are on the Cabela listing.
    Not for me.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUDGE View Post
    The review on them say there not worth it , no accuracy.
    The reviews are on the Cabela listing.
    Not for me.
    LOL thats funny.They are deadly accurate.Check out randy wakemans video.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcxextreme View Post
    LOL thats funny.They are deadly accurate.Check out randy wakemans video.
    Second on that. I do not have issues with accuracy.Those bullets are close to Hornady SST 250gr, which I like best. Ballistic coefficient is slightly different than my Hornady 250gr, but this is understood since those bullets have different shape and weight.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I see Randy Wakeman has provided some specs on the new bullet...

Does Randy Fakeman still do mainly clown appearances at childrens parties? SERIOUSLY. That's what he did for quite a while. Spokesman for savage ML10's till savage told him to shut up. A good SST or scorpion will give the BC which by the way is elevated very slighly by a point on a bullet. As for load drag just use crush rib sabots.

http://www.randywakeman.com/20_Gauge...s_Compared.htm
    http://randywakemanmagic.com/

As for Randy's input I'll take a pass. And the bullet won't do a thing you can't already. I just smacked a 190 field dressed buck with 85 grs of BH209 under an orig 300 XTP in crush rib sabot looking at me at 120. It ripped a gouge all the way down his chin and blew a hole out the back of his brain stem the size of a tennis ball. Not a movement, run or quiver. That'll do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast