Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: deworming dogs

  1. #1
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default deworming dogs

    I never bothered deworming my dogs, other than young pups, there's a lot of conflicting info out there...
    I did a lot of digging and perhaps this info can be useful to others.
    Here's a good summary of a few approaches.
    http://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/201...ogs-how-often/

    if you feel like digging around on that blog - go ahead, lots of yaki stuff

    I have to say, I am not paranoid about worms and living with dogs. However, I personally knew a guy that almost died and had serious abdominal surgery to remove http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/echinococcosis/

    BTW, if you do decide to deworm, there's lots of options using off label large animal meds for dogs, saves a lot of money, if you're comfortable determining the correct dosage.
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I use SafeGuard (fenbendazole) for horses to deal with giardia and other parasites when dummy picks em up from drinking out of puddles LOL
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    At deer camp we use gin as a dewormer. None of us ever come home with them......
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  5. #4
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    At deer camp we use gin as a dewormer. None of us ever come home with them......
    haha, that is THE best medicine..awesome

  6. #5
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    I use SafeGuard (fenbendazole) for horses to deal with giardia and other parasites when dummy picks em up from drinking out of puddles LOL
    Indeed. However, 25g of SG at Tractor Supply is $20 (while $9 in the same store in the US) and it's not even enough to treat a single dog (44 lbs in my case) with min of 3 doses (5 is usually recommended for Giardia). I just oredered liquid SG from Amazon shipped to Canada for US$33 125 ml, it's 5 times the amount in the 25 g horse paste.
    How do you spell 'tight wad'?
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

  7. #6
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    At deer camp we use gin as a dewormer. None of us ever come home with them......
    yeah, right, only at deer camp
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

  8. #7
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    My dog gets his summer flea whatever dose but I give his stool a boot and have a look here and there . Most are easily seen including that wicked whip worm . Over the years when I've seen something even my vet has been surprised how quick I have caught it just by a simple kick of my boot to the stool . LOL

    TD

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 400bigbear View Post
    Over the years when I've seen something even my vet has been surprised how quick I have caught it just by a simple kick of my boot to the stool . LOL TD
    BB...if you live in the burbs you get to pick it up and take it home with you..just throw it on the counter and have a boo....

    We do the 'Heartguard' thing'....box of six for the year/season...the lads find far to many tasty treats in and around the farm.

  10. #9
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    BB...if you live in the burbs you get to pick it up and take it home with you..just throw it on the counter and have a boo....

    We do the 'Heartguard' thing'....box of six for the year/season...the lads find far to many tasty treats in and around the farm.
    LMAO Mike . No fear of doggy doo doo ending up on my counter top for inspection plus with very good training the boy doesn't do it near the house and I don't even use an e-collar . LOL Any tastey treats of vermin squirrels etc get thrown on my barn roof for the ravens . Even works for fish guts . Nothing wasted . And heah since cat is old and uses the litter box during the winter months the fecal etc matter ends up in the woodstove including chicken bones etc . Why waste it I say and less trips to the dump other than for toxic crap and recyclables .

    TD

  11. #10
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vom Dufenshmirtz View Post
    I never bothered deworming my dogs, other than young pups, there's a lot of conflicting info out there...
    I did a lot of digging and perhaps this info can be useful to others.
    Here's a good summary of a few approaches.
    http://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/201...ogs-how-often/

    if you feel like digging around on that blog - go ahead, lots of yaki stuff

    I have to say, I am not paranoid about worms and living with dogs. However, I personally knew a guy that almost died and had serious abdominal surgery to remove http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/echinococcosis/

    BTW, if you do decide to deworm, there's lots of options using off label large animal meds for dogs, saves a lot of money, if you're comfortable determining the correct dosage.

    Good post. I've never dewormed any of my dogs over the years either. They get a feces check once a year but have never had any worms.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •