Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: caliber for timber wolf hunting?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default caliber for timber wolf hunting?

Ok guys, I have a 22-250 or a .270. Is the 22-250 to small to hunt wolf? And is my .270 to big? I'm going on a wolf hunt in the martan river area after Christmas just want to know if I need to buy a new gun?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'd use what ever your more comfortable shooting. Both would down a wolf. I would probably use the .270 myself

Only reason I say that is wolves rarely stand still for long, You might have to take a less than perfect shot. I'd want a bit more knock-down power with the .270, But I wouldn't hesitate for one second at taking a shot at a wolf with my .22-250. Using 55g bullet.

Good luck and post pictures if you get any. I may head up to my camp for a wolf hunt next week, If we get a bit of snow I likely will.

EDIT: Does sound like a excellent excuse for a new gun. A .243 or .25.06 would fit the bill nicely. Even 6mm or .260 rem.
    Last edited by SongDog; December 27th, 2014 at 09:18 AM.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would highly recommend your 270. Timber wolves can average 3 times the size of a coyote and are more in line with the body mass of a small deer. You will need knock down power for such an animal and the 270 is a perfect long range shooter as well. Choosing a bullet load in the 130 to 150 grain load will do the trick. Good luck with your hunt!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

^^^^^👍👍^^^^^
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We shot a female this year at deer camp. She weighed over 75 lbs and was clesrly the smallest in a pack of 4. The guy who did the shooting is a guy who specializes in trapping wolves and has had a registered trap line in Gogama for 25 yrs and has accounted for the demise of uncountable wolves and swears the biggest in the pack would have easily weighed over 100lbs. I would use the 270 and then you know your bullet will go end to end if needed. They can be big buggers.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

If you look at Chris Lavoie post about wolf hunting, he recommends a .243 and has no problem taking them with a .22 mag
    Last edited by bdog; December 27th, 2014 at 01:25 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I always wanted a new 260 .but with a 22 250 in the safe can I justify a 260 .I think I can as it would make a great whitetail rig ,think I will be watching the EE to see if I can find a deal on a 260 .haha ,I would have no problem using the 22 250 on wolves Dutch

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you like the 22-250 just go with a better bullet for wolf. Perhaps a 60 gr Nosler partition. I'd stay away from ballistic tip varmint rounds that expand instantly.

The 270 will will likely work better than the 22 250 if you have a minimal bullet and/or a less than perfect shot.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I'd be happy with a .22-250 shooting heavy bullets. Totally agree with Skypilot, as always.

I hear ya about the .260 Remington as well. I have its close cousin, the .257 Roberts. And the 7mm-08 Remington. Either of those rifles is what I would take wolf hunting, and frankly, the 7mm-08 with a 130-grain bullet is not so different from your .270 in real-world performance. My Roberts shoots 110-grain Interbonds well and I would be quite confident to 300+ yards with it. Broadside, I'd trust your 22-250 with a decent 60-grainer about as far. Further, if I trusted my shooting more, but I don't shoot at game past about 200- yards.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

7mm-08 great wolf caliber.Thats what I use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast