Thread: single handed spey question

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default single handed spey question

Okay,
    So I am slowly understanding spey/switch rods and shooting heads and skandi or skadgit. Here's my question....would it be possible to run a heaver line as a shooting head and lighter line for running line on my current setup? which is a 9'6" 7 weight fly rod. I just can't fork out the money to buy a whole new setup right now.

here's what I think and correct me if I am wrong.
    I would downsize from my 7 weight line to maybe a 5 double taper and tip up the end with maybe a very light shooting head or heavy wf fly line section. I assume I would only need 15 feet of shooting line max to get it to cast well. and this setup I would not be expecting to clear the grand (biggest river nearby) with.

thanks for reading,
    Frank Zacharias

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

First off you want to stick with a 7 weight line, that's what your rod will handle. By using a lighter line you won't load the road properly and you won't cast as far. All you have to do to get a shooting line is to cut a double taper line in half and tie your tippet to the fat end, i.e. the part of the line you cut in half, and your shooting line to the thin end.
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

seems simple enough! thank You very much I definitely convinced myself to downsize the line. For the shooting head though, if I am going to be chopping lines is there a rough starting point or some math I can do to calculate what I would need? I apologize for my ignorance in this subject.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Frank, all I have done in the past is cut either a floating or sinking DT line in half. Once cut I'll whip finish both ends of the cut line with a loop. Doing this will allow the line to pass through the guides much easier. For a running line, or shooting line what I use is 20lb test braided line. It's thin in diameter and works real well. If you want the shooting line to float so you can pick it up off the water easier, just dress it with the same stuff you would use on a floating line. Oh, I also splice and whip finish the running line to the shooting head.
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

check out rio switch chucker line drop down 2 or 3 line sizes for single hand rod, if your rod is a switch rod then match the line to the rod, ie 7wt rod 7wt switch chucker line, this line will let you swing flies and indicator fish cast like a bullet make sure not to over load your single hand rod with this line can break rod.I have an 8wt single hand rod that I will be using a 5wt switch chucker line on should be fine,you could also check out wolff triangle taper line in a 7wt for single hand rod this line is hard to indicator fish not very mendable if your rod is a switch then go up 2 line sizes to load rod.Both of these lines come with running lines attached to the head.Good luck.