Thread: New fish consumption guide

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default New fish consumption guide

Just FYI, the MOE's fish consumption guide has been updated. The major difference in this reboot is that while the recommended meals per month previously maxed out at 8, it now goes higher in some cases, I think up to a maximum of 32.

The URL is different now. The interactive map version is at http://www.ontario.ca/environment-an...g-ontario-fish .

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Good stuff, thanks

Past Administrator

User Info Menu

I will sticky this one for others that may be interested.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Nice. Easy to use. But I just had to laugh when I noticed that I'm allowed to eat 16 meals per month of 18" Muskie out of St. Clair...LOL

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Good catch Paddy, you noticed another change to the consumption guide that I hadn't noticed. Previous editions of the guide had no entries for muskie. The print versions noted muskie as a species excluded from the advisories, and gave the explanation that the province encourages catch and release for muskie, and muskie big enough to keep are typically high in heavy metals. Sturgeon was also noted as not included, since you can't legally keep one anywhere in Ontario. In the new guide, it seems there are entries for muskie in 27 waterbodies and sturgeon in 25. And since the advisories only go up to 75 cm, none of the tested sizes of muskie would be legal to keep anyway.

So the inclusion of muskie and sturgeon is new, but the inclusion of non-keepable fish is not. Previous editions of the guide had included illegal sizes of fish, as well as entries for lakes that are year-round sanctuaries.

(Edit: I just checked the PDF of the print version, and page 13 still has the notes about muskie and sturgeon as "restricted species", along with American eel, even though the first two are now included in the advisories.)
    Last edited by tweedwolfscream; March 18th, 2015 at 11:04 AM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the new guide.

I never understood the previous max of 8 meals/month - it seemed mind boggling to recommend at most 2 meals of a fish a week when so many of the places you can catch fish will produce fish that are much less contaminated than stuff you buy in the grocery store.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

My home lake Dalrymple is pretty clean...good to know thanks!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

From what I've seen in the general population; a lot of women of child bearing years seem to be ignoring the advice and eating way to much fish ..LOL...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Great job