Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Ontario’s sweeping Moose Project proposal leaves hunters reeling. Have your say now.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

What I'm getting from the OFAH article is not that they are taking issue with conservation measures in general. The issue seems to be that the MNR is reducing hunting opportunities while still soaking money out of hunters. Why not drastically reduce the number of calf tags issued instead of cutting back the open season on calves to achieve the end goal? The answer is fairly obvious.
    Last edited by iannolan; February 10th, 2015 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typos

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iannolan View Post
    What I'm getting from the OFAH article is not that they are taking issue with conservation measures in general. The issue seems to be that the MNR is reducing hunting opportunities while still soaking money out of hunters. Why not drastically reduce the number of calf tags issued instead of cutting back the open season on calves to achieve the end goal? The answer is fairly obvious.
    Hunters are the only ones putting money into this.

If you choose not to moose hunt and choose not to buy a tag then you save money.

If you choose to spend your money for a 2 week calf hunt then you made that choice.

I still want more restrictions.

I wonder if the OFAH people will actually read this, many members do not want to pay the OFAH to push back where more should actually be done.

Moose on the Brain

User Info Menu

Most hunters only hunt one or (the lucky ones) 2 weeks anyway. This will only restrict locals. And it will put EVERYONE in the bush at the SAME TIME....possibly penalize shift workers who may not get one of those 2 weeks off.......

I would be in favour of tags/lottery/points system for calves, perhaps make calves worth half a cow tag in number of points/GGS etc.

More and more I'm thinking FW may become a fall bear hunter, or a deer hunter. Looks like I'll get to try my hand at fall turkey too.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I completely agree that there needs to be more restrictions. I just take issue with the fact that revenue for the province trumps sound management strategies. I would like to believe that less hunters will choose to buy a calf tag as a result of the changes but will the change be significant enough to make a difference? The way to guarantee that less calves are taken is to reduce the number of tags issued. Making the hunt less appealing by reducing the number of days in the season is a half hearted attempt to do something to address the problem without affecting the cash cow that hunters are for the province.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Managing our moose herd as a cash flow asset is wrong on all counts. Wildlife management should be science based not fiscal or political based.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Managing our moose herd as a cash flow asset is wrong on all counts. Wildlife management should be science based not fiscal or political based.
    OFAH? MNRF? Are you there? Pay attention to this.^^^^^^

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
    OFAH? MNRF? Are you there? Pay attention to this.^^^^^^
    …I guess not. There were many, many good posts on here and I feel that there is a general consensus when it comes to calves, cows, bear & wolf as well as the aboriginal harvest.
    I don’t see anything of that being addressed by the OFAH! If that’s all they are going to fight for, they won’t see a single penny from me again.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

OFAH has offered a solution, I got an FaceBook message last night to fill out your oppostion to bill/proposition http://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2015/0...n-efforts.html and complete the Completing a short online survey, completing the, Commenting on regulatory proposals in notice 012-3413 on the Environmental Registry. I am not a moose hunter yet, but here is your chance to comment.
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

User Info Menu

Here is the actual link for comments page, as shown in post above. http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Ext...U2&language=en

I am thoroughly dismayed at the heavy allocation of tags to outfitters, and do believe, based on the amount of advertising in ODD Mag this month, it is in OFAH best interests to stay mum (read avertising revenue) could risk a showdown with us the readers of ODD Mag. They (OFAH) are walking a fine line between our (hunters) and the advertising money IMHO......

User Info Menu

The wording in the 2016 regulations changes:
    Description of Regulation:

Moose play an important role in Ontario’s ecosystems and are an integral
    component of the province’s rich biodiversity. Moose contribute economic and
    ecological benefits to the people of Ontario, and are highly valued by
    Aboriginal Peoples. Recent population surveys showed declines in moose
    populations in many parts of northern Ontario, a trend also being seen in other
    North American jurisdictions.

The Moose Project was undertaken to explore potential management actions to
    address or mitigate pressures on moose populations such as harvest, predation,
    parasites, climate and changing habitat. During the first phase of
    consultations, opportunities for early action to support healthy and resilient
    moose populations in Ontario were identified. In response, as an initial step
    and beginning in 2015, the following moose harvest management strategy is being
    proposed: limiting the calf moose hunting season across northern Ontario to a
    two week period.

In addition, Ontario will continue to extend opportunities to discuss new
    moose population objectives and, based on input received, will address the
    broader range of pressures on the moose population (such as climate change,
    diseases and interactions with other species (i.e., deer, bear and wolf
    populations)). There will be further opportunity to discuss and comment on
    additional actions in coming months.

Harvest management strategy proposed for implementation beginning in 2015:

• Establish a two-week resident and non-resident open hunting season for calf
    and adult moose across northern Ontario, beginning on the Saturday closest to
    October 22; all allowable firearms (as per existing seasons) could be used
    during this season. Outside of this two-week season, calf moose could not be
    harvested. Hunting for an adult moose would still be permitted for the remainder
    of the open season with a valid moose licence and in accordance with existing
    rules.

For implementation in 2016:

• Delay the start of resident and non-resident moose hunting seasons across
    much of northern Ontario by one week.

To implement the proposed changes, amendments to various regulations under
    the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA) would be required to establish new
    seasons based on age or other factors, change the seasons for resident and
    non-resident moose hunting and make associated consequential amendments:

A) In Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) 1A, 1C, 1D, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B, 8,
    9A, 9B, 11A, 11B, 12A, 12B, 13, 14, 15A, 15B, 16A, 16B, 16C, 17, 18A, 18B, 19,
    21A, 21B, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38,
    39, 40, 41, and 42
    i. establish an open season for calf and adult moose
    which would begin the Saturday closest to October 22 and end on the second
    following Friday, in any year; all allowable firearms could be used during this
    season.

B) Beginning in 2016, change the opening date of the resident and
    non-resident moose hunting seasons in WMUs 5, 6, 7A, 7B, 8, 9A, 9B, 11A, 11B,
    12A, 12B, 13, 14, 15A, 15B, 19, 21A, 21B, 22, 23, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34,
    35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42 to begin one week later.

Purpose of Regulation:

To consult on proposed amendments to moose hunting regulations as part of the
    Moose Project, in order to support healthy and resilient moose populations that
    provide ecological, social, economic and cultural benefits to the people of
    Ontario.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast