Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 pm Friday afternoon coyote

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default 1 pm Friday afternoon coyote

With my workplace shutdown today because of the cold, I decided I would do some coyote hunting after taking my son to school….

I reach the first farm and setup by 10am… I do 1 quick set on one end of the farm and do another longer set on the other end (bigger bush) of the property…. I really wanted to hunt inside the bush itself but the wind was wrong for this farm today so had to settle for the traditionally field hunt….. After a good while with nothing coming out into the field I left.

I drove to another farm and setup in a small swampy area about 250 yds from the bush… Did a quick set (10 mins) with nothing showing I made my way to the actual bush. I setup on the top ridge looking down into the frozen creek bed (river bottom). I figure with the open field 5 yds behind me and the wind taking my scent into the open field I had a chance.

I setup my decoy/e-caller about 10 yds down below me. I began with a few hand dying rabbit screams. Tried a few different critter distress sounds but nothing was showing so decided to play some coyote vocals….

I played greeting, howls, challenge, and coyote fighting sounds followed by coyote distress.

It’s funny, the bush isn't too thick, I can see probably 60-70 yd or more in most directions but it is bush and I keep scanning the area as far as I can see for any movement at all and then when you think nothing is coming you turn around and wham…. A coyote is a stone’s throw away….

This coyote came in on a deer trail that rides along the side of the hill I am on. As I am scanning the area looking for movement I look to my hard left and there she is just walking slowing nose to the ground. I lift my rifle off my shooting sticks, turn it toward the coyote, she stops to look at my decoy, I put the cross-hairs on her chest (it had no idea I was there) and with a 12 yds front chest shot, she drops in her tracks….

"Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Way to go Frank, nice female and some good looking bush.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It never ceases to amaze me how close they can actually get to the hunter.
    Great story and hunt Frank. Congrats!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Congrats!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Great choice on set up Frank. I bet that coyote was laying down in that bush somewhere getting some sun. Cold sunny days they tend to do that.

when you call and kill a coyote at 10 yards that is an ultimate rush. Congrats Frank on a good looking coyote.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Lotta fur in the scope?? Lol Wtg Frank keel all them beeches !

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Wow just amazing. Very nice bush lot...Congrats with the success. Just knocking them down.
    A hungry dog hunts best.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

That's fantastic. Up close and personal!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nicely done sir!
    And just think you have your rig zeroed at???
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

WTG Frank again
    It isn,t how you do it,its how you did it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast