Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2-Up ATVs and Side-by-Side UTVs

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I would like to see that laws for snowgos the same for atv lic and insure and away you go same laws for both ,I can drive my sled right in town to gas station but not my atv .some thing has to change Dutch

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Unfortunately in this case the province allows the individual municipalities to set whatever by-law suits their own needs. So as far as that goes it would take years of town meetings and hearings before you even have the slightest hope of achieving your goals. I used to love going to those and listen to the people who don't even own ATV's explain how they are such a destructive force and far to loud to be allowed into the town. Unless you customise the exhaust ATV's are a fairly silent machine compared to sleds. However it's a huge undertaking and you won't win. Things like this are exactly the reason the ATV industry is failing to make any headway at a reasonable pace, not to mention the lack of provincial support financially that OFSC enjoys. I have always been a firm believer that the province should force OFATV and OFSC to join and therefore support and enhance the sport equally. Savage308

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would love to see a lot less of the OFSC, give them a little control and they think they own the country. They want you to pay even if you are on your own property. I hope the OFATV never goes down that road. Or if they do, stay out of the North.
    Woody

Nothing is more certain than an extremist's hatred of compromise

Just starting out

User Info Menu

An update to what has been posted.

The MTO has a online survey asking for opinions on revising the laws to allow side by sides & 2 up ATVs on roadways (both currently illegal) where ATVs are permitted to be operated.

Please take the time to fill in the survey:

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registr..._campaign=b8h8

(Scroll down to ORV Public Consultation

BTW the UTV bill has passed 2nd reading in the legislature:

http://www.wawa-news.com/index.php?o...156&Itemid=157

[quote]Government Announces Regulatory Review After Unanimous Passage Of Vanthof’s Off-Road Vehicles Bill Written by John Vanthof, MPP Timiskaming-Cochrane Wednesday, 25 February 2015 09:17

One week after Ontario’s Legislative Assembly unanimously passed John Vanthof’s Bill 46 to allow side-by-sides and two-up off-road vehicles on provincial highways, the government today announced a review of the regulations concerning off-road vehicles.

“This is one more step in the long road to get the Liberals to recognize the needs of people in rural and northern Ontario,” said Vanthof. “The government is finally realizing that off-road vehicles have changed, and the rules for off-road vehicles need to change with them.”

Currently, only handlebar-driven All-Terrain Vehicles with one seat can legally be driven on the shoulders of provincial highways, putting Ontario out of step with provinces like Quebec that have long allowed multi-passenger off-road vehicles on highways. This restriction means popular ATV categories like side-by-sides and two-ups face barriers when using recreational trails that cross provincial roads. Similar barriers are faced by workers in side-by-side Utility Task Vehicles who need to use the highway shoulder in order to access their worksites.

Vanthof’s bill would mean multi-passenger off-road vehicles would be regulated in the same way as single-rider ATVs.

“The rules for off-road vehicles need to reflect the reality in northern and rural Ontario, where people now use side-by-sides and two-ups as part of their daily work routine and for leisure,” Vanthof said. “Someone driving their side-by-side from their home to their worksite should not risk being charged just because their machine has room for two passengers.”

“We are closer than ever to victory, but we need to keep the pressure up. I urge all riders of side-by-sides and two-ups to take part in this review, and make sure you’re heard by the government,” said Vanthof.[/b]

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Savage308 View Post
    I have always been a firm believer that the province should force OFATV and OFSC to join and therefore support and enhance the sport equally. Savage308
    I don't think this will ever happen. I looked after the land permissions for the local club in the 90s for 5 years. The landowners were adamant that they didn't want ATVs on their property.

Co-operation may work where the network of trails in on Crown Land, but in portions of southern Ontario where it is mostly private property, I can't see it being viable.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link. I added my comments, and hope others here do as well.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    Thanks for the link. I added my comments, and hope others here do as well.
    Thanks I've sent mine in as well. It would be nice if I could legally ride our Ranger down a back road 4 miles to get to our woodlot. As it is we load it on our trailer. Drive 4 miles, then unload it. Repeat to go home.

The way the ATV laws are written it is legal to ride an ATV from Apsley to the Peterborough/Haliburton line on Hwy 28 (not that I would want to).

Just starting out

User Info Menu

This new Bill is great news for ATVers and the UTV folks. I own am 'legal' 2up Polaris with the extended axle length to accommodate the extra passenger. Great riding machine for my wife and I .....very comfortable on the bush roads and trails.....even better now (soon) that I will be able to leave from my house to get to the trails rather than having to trailer to the trails. ATV's are recently legal on municipal roads in my township.
    Some great safety tips as well....been there - done that with the ramps.....thanks folks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Agree with you 150%.

Quote Originally Posted by woody1948 View Post
    I would love to see a lot less of the OFSC, give them a little control and they think they own the country. They want you to pay even if you are on your own property. I hope the OFATV never goes down that road. Or if they do, stay out of the North.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast