Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe someday my Grand Kids will be able to hunt this. :)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Maybe someday my Grand Kids will be able to hunt this. :)

Getting closer. Maybe someday my Grand Kids will be able to hunt this. .

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/6748958...rom-extinction

Woolly mammoths could walk the tundra again after over 3000 years of extinction, the Independent reports.
    Scientists at Harvard University have spliced mammoth DNA into living elephant cells, creating the possibility of bringing back the long-extinct animal.
    The research team replicated the genes that separate elephants from their hairy ancestors - bigger ears, furriness, and extra fat beneath the skin - and inserted them into the genetic code of an Asian elephant. Asian elephants are closely related to mammoths, which meant the scientists did not need to create a cell from scratch.
    The mammoth genes were extracted from specimens preserved under permafrost in the Arctic Ocean.
    Although the experiment is a bold new step for genetic research, its ethics have inspired heated debate in the scientific community.
    The project's web site says its goal "is not to make perfect copies of extinct woolly mammoths, but to focus on the mammoth adaptations needed for Asian elephants to live in the cold climate of the tundra".
    It asserts the modified elephants could help restore tundra ecosystems, and contribute to scientific understanding of extinct genes and large mammal conservation.
    But concerns have been raised that the research will lead to experimentation on live Asian elephants.
    Speaking to the Independent, Dr Tori Herridge, an expert in mammoth anatomy from the Natural History Museum in London, questioned "whether or not the justifications for cloning a mammoth are worth the suffering, the concerns of keeping an elephant in captivity, experimenting on her, making her go through a 22-month pregnancy, to potentially give birth to something which won't live, or to carry something which could be damaging to her".
    Other experts worry cloning mammoths could also lead people to forget about the extinction of living animals.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The last sentence sums it up nicley: "Why bring back another elephantid from extinction when we cannot even keep the ones that are not extinct around?"
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That would be so they can learn from there mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The last sentence sums it up nicley: "Why bring back another elephantid from extinction when we cannot even keep the ones that are not extinct around?"
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The 'mistake' is poaching and that will continue as long as man if driven by greed and see's an opportunity to make make money.

Introducing something else that someone will want will only perpetuate the cycle.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not sure that the rest of the necessary ecosystem is around to support this new improved elephant. The world has evolved and many species have gone extinct because of this, and new ones evolved to adapt to the new environment. Man is not the only reason the planet is changing and that will never stop. Early man did not cause global temperatures to rise yet they still did ( and the ice age ended ) and will continue to do so untill we figure out how to control the sun and the moon.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

There is a reason the mammoth went extinct. Messing about with things beyond our control is never a wise decision.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    There is a reason the mammoth went extinct. Messing about with things beyond our control is never a wise decision.
    Exactly... doesn't anyone remember Jurassic Park?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The 'mistake' is poaching and that will continue as long as man if driven by greed and see's an opportunity to make make money.

Introducing something else that someone will want will only perpetuate the cycle.
    Ya kinda my take on this. For some reason the opening comment bring it back so that we can kill it doesn't sit right with me.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Essentially that is what was done with Elk in Ontario wasn't it?? They brought it back and before we even got close to a sustainable herd we are hunting them. Which is why I am not totally in favor of the Elk hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Ya kinda my take on this. For some reason the opening comment bring it back so that we can kill it doesn't sit right with me.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Bring it back for harvest, do this like you would raise cows.

If we need ivory why not raise elephants, do the same with mammoth.

It is probably less BS to raise mammoths off cloning than messing with endangered species or world wide anti-trade animals.

If you can prove that the mammoth is not endangered elephant and it is a wanted ivory nobody would poach.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast