Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Easily broken rules/regs

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyRookie View Post
    Last year opening day of duck season, I watched two guys get written up for "party" hunting ducks, among other things such as baiting. They had 11 ducks, and both guns still out. At that point, as per the CO, one gun should have been put away, as one persons limit was already filled, and there is no party hunting.
    They must have said that one had shot more than the other.

Having your gun out when you have a limit of ducks is not illegal, there are probably other species legal at the time, maybe geese or snipe, grouse, possible woodcock.

The number of times I see people going ice fishing with their 3 kids, put out 8 lines and only the father works the rods. No way are the tiny kids actually fishing those 2 rods each.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    They must have said that one had shot more than the other.

Having your gun out when you have a limit of ducks is not illegal, there are probably other species legal at the time, maybe geese or snipe, grouse, possible woodcock.

The number of times I see people going ice fishing with their 3 kids, put out 8 lines and only the father works the rods. No way are the tiny kids actually fishing those 2 rods each.
    When there are no geese for miles around, and you're sitting in a duck blind, on the marsh, with decoys, and calls going, hard to justify the second guy was hunting anything but. They plead guilty and took their lumps.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Canadian Waterfowl Supplies Pro Staff | Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

Member for Life

User Info Menu

When there are no geese for miles around, and you're sitting in a duck blind, on the marsh, with decoys, and calls going, hard to justify the second guy was hunting anything but. They plead guilty and took their lumps.
    Just opening it up a bit, maybe they said the one guy shot 7, not 6.

Anyway, I know of a guy who dropped a ruff grouse into his duck decoy set, kinda funny to come out after a duck hunt with no ducks and 1 grouse.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Just opening it up a bit, maybe they said the one guy shot 7, not 6.

Anyway, I know of a guy who dropped a ruff grouse into his duck decoy set, kinda funny to come out after a duck hunt with no ducks and 1 grouse.
    For sure I get what you're saying, and we come home with grouse after our fowl hunts as well, as we often see them on the drive in and out.

But in some cases, like this, when you're already breaking a few laws. Baiting, hunting to close to bait, then have 11 ducks and 2 guns still out, in a marsh over gear etc... I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on when the CO rolls up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Never thought about that for waterfowl.
    I have a friend that I swear every time he shoots at a bird when I do, he claims he got and I missed it. We'll see if he's that quick to claim it when i let him know he's on his last one.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Last year opening day of duck season, I watched two guys get written up for "party" hunting ducks, among other things such as baiting. They had 11 ducks, and both guns still out. At that point, as per the CO, one gun should have been put away, as one persons limit was already filled, and there is no party hunting.
    I don't want to find out but I'm wondering how it works when both hunter shoot at the same duck. Who killed it?!?!
    Even more difficult when they are five guys hunting together and blasting at the same flock.....

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I think the whole party hunting waterfowl is kind of a pointless discussion. No you're not allowed to do it but like mentioned above most of us do it all the time as we are hunting the same flocks of birds coming in with 4 or five guys. We try to establish fields of fire when out but after that first shot and the birds are going every which way it's pretty hard to sort it out. Anyone that says they do it any differently is probably telling a fib. Been checked by COs doing just this and it has never been an issue.
    "I may not have gone where I was supposed to go, but I ended up where I was supposed to be"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Allot of guys think "I'm on my own, or someone elses private land" no one is going to come bother me / find me.

As well last year, we had a CO come into private land while goose hunting and check us all out, and one guy got nailed for no small games license (claimed he didn't know).

So don't think because you're somewhere protected, they won't come looking for you / at you.
    I've found this is especially true for waterfowl hunting. It's not difficult for them to hear the sustained shooting, and then drive around zeroing in on it, and finally finding you to make a visit.

Much less likely when large game hunting as it's usually just a quick shot or two and then silence.
    Roosted ain't Roasted.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter1 View Post
    Been checked by COs doing just this and it has never been an issue.
    I think we would probably all agree, that the CO's probably don't enforce this one too heavily, based on how the rest of the conversation goes. If everyone is playing nice, and abiding, then I would assume, the LEO probably doesn't even think twice about it, on the other hand, if things turn nasty, I would think the LEO would probably start doing the math pretty quick.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

As long as the number of ducks equals the number of hunters without exceeding the bag limit,no LEO will question it. It's just not worth the aggravation to knit-pick. Most hunters divide the bag equally,so,who's to say which is which unless the LEO literally sat in the same swamp and counted each time a hunter shot at a bird and kept track of hits and misses. NOBODY would do that,at least,not outside a mental hospital.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.