Thread: Target Shooting on Crown Land

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Target Shooting on Crown Land

Hey All,

So my PAL finally came in so I can actually use my gun. I want to get some target shooting in and was wondering if you are allowed to set up a target on crown land and do target shooting there? I know you can hunt on crown land but I wasn't sure about target shooting.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    Totally new to hunting. Please excuse my ignorance. That is all.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Yes, you can but check your by-laws.
    Last edited by seabast; March 20th, 2015 at 10:29 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You can if the local municipalities say you can.

Due to some irresponsible people going out and making a huge mess some municipalities have put bylaws in place to keep people from target shooting on crown land.
    Take a look at your local bylaws.

As for the MNRF, make sure you have targets and be able to prove you are target shooting and not hunting.

Have fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You can if the local municipalities say you can.

Due to some irresponsible people going out and making a huge mess some municipalities have put bylaws in place to keep people from target shooting on crown land.
    Take a look at your local bylaws.

As for the MNRF, make sure you have targets and be able to prove you are target shooting and not hunting.

Have fun.
    X2 on checking with your local municipality.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you come up our way to go ice fishing on one of the back lakes, bring your rifle with you.....plenty of high banks that make good backdrops and your range can be from 20' all the way out to 500 yds.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The ones by me have "no target shooting allowed" signs posted. There are huge piles of garbage at spots peolple have decided to target practice. I wish they would get caught and be forced to clean there mess up. They carried it all in, so why cant they carry it out ?
    Another one of my pet peeves.
    OFAH Member
    CSSA Member

User Info Menu

You can get the info direct from the MNR. e-mail www.mnr.nric.mmn@ontario.ca

I did and got a good reply which I printed off and carry with me - just in case.
    Member of the National Firearms Association (NFA).

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Perfect thank you all for your responses! I will be sure to look into the bylaws before I go
    Totally new to hunting. Please excuse my ignorance. That is all.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Check around with local farms as well, there may be the option that you can get permission to both hunt and target practise. Offer something in return, free labor is a good start. it can be very hard to get started but once you find some friends who also hunt things get better. Savage308