Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baitcasting set up help please...

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Ya, I'm not a fan of baitcasters as an all round combo. If you were to stick to Largies and Pike then sure go with the 7' MH but if you throw eyes into the mix then MH seems a little over kill...

I would also suggest trying the 30# braid. I've been throwing spinnerbaits with a baitcaster for years and always go with 30# braid, I've had great success with Stren Superbraid, casts well, doesn't dig in and seems to last forever. If you find yourself in clear water you can always tie on a fluoro leader.
    To help with the digging in, if you can, first time out in a boat troll out all of your braid with a lure that provides lots of resistance and then reel the line back in under tension. This will make sure that the base is nice and tightly wound.

When I started with baitcasters I also questioned the switch reel hand thing. I ended up going with mostly left hand retrieve (I'm right handed) and would never change that. The rod hand is the one to impart action to the bait, I want that one to be my dominant hand. The one exception is I prefer to throw spinnerbaits and such on a right hand retrieve but that is mostly chuck and wind.

As an example:
    By baitcasters are spooled as follows: Heavy pitching/fliping 65# braid, Froggin 65# braid, pitching/ flipping clear water, lighter cover 20# fluorocarbon, Spinnerbaits, rattlebaits, chatterbaits 30# braid.
    Last edited by Rugger; April 7th, 2015 at 06:10 AM.
    Heeere fishy fishy fishy fishy! :fish:

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Baitcasting set up help please...

Baitcasters are made for throwing bigger baits to bigger fish like pike and largemouth. A 7 ft. MH can handle almost every thing a regular angler would go for. I am new to bait casting and I have a 7 ft. MH Fenwick HMG my reel is a abu garcia round reel spolled up with 30 lb braid. I don't understand why you don't like baitcasters is it beacause your not ussing the right set up.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Liam

Just wondering who you were addressing this to?

Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    I don't understand why you don't like baitcasters is it beacause your not ussing the right set up.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help guys, I just picked up a St Croix Premier 7' MH-Fast for a great deal brand new. Pair that with my new Lews Speed Spool LFS and that is now my new do-it-all baitcasting combo. Thanks again!

Elite Member

User Info Menu

sounds like a sweet combo. Be interested to hear how that reel performs.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The Duckett 7' Med heavy sets up nicely with that reel too. Nice and light but super strong and durable combo.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Yeah I have read a lot about the Lews lately and from what I can tell they are great "bang for the buck". I can wait to hook into a nice bass with this set-up, thanks for all your help guys!!!
    Last edited by Max-4; April 21st, 2015 at 10:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12