Thread: flies for brookies

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default flies for brookies

Gonna be doing lots of fly fishing for brookies this year just wondering which flies guys use in the early spring??

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I am new to fly fishing brookies but I was catching them the other day on claret pheasant tail nymphs. Looking forward to fishing them with dries, I just use the same flies that I target rainbows with.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Brook trout are not known for being overly fussy, unless there is a hatch of something very specific going on and they're geared to it...or...if you make too much noise/commotion casting for them. No fly will work well if that's the case. They'll hit a pc. of tree bark if they have no reason to be afraid. I see too many guys getting hung-up on flies...then show-up to the river in a white T-shirt. Fussy on what they eat? Not really. Shy? 100%.

A little trial and error is a good idea, but if I'm targeting brookies in small streams, I'll always have the following;

Dries~Blue winged olives, elk-hair caddis (no hackle on flat water, hackle on fast water) some Adams in various sizes, quill bodied Catskill-type dries with lots of dun/dark dun colored hackle for plopping into foam pockets and plenty of ants. I even started tying/bringing small, foam-bodied hoppers for later in the summer.

Nymphs~some hatch-specific, muted-color ones like Hendrickson, Isonychia and some stone flies. I prefer attractors as searching patterns. Top picks would be a gold bead-headed pheasant tail or prince nymph. Be sure to have nymphs down as small as #16, and never a bad idea to have both un-weighted and heavily weighted to cover various depths of water.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

x2 on stone flies. Buggers have worked for me well too.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

With Brookies I will match the hatch more or less but I'm a little old school in that I still like simple flies and attractors - so I will fish bread crust, simple wets, and black gnats. Try anything in your box and consider skittering on the surface.

FB

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I'm honestly surprised that no one has mentioned Muddler Minnows...since I was a kid whenever I would ask people what fly to use for Specks...Muddler Minnow was always one of the top choices. Even to this day, 25 years after my first fly adventure, people still talk about the Muddler, and it is still my go-to for Brookies.

It is versatile in both the pattern and the way it can be fished. From the standard, to bead heads, and bunny, marabou, flash and synthetic patterns you can really change up the look and size.

You can fish it as a streamer, drift it, swing it, even as a dry and skate it! Lake or river...it works!