Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Novice Question- Shooting ducks on the water

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I concurr with many opinions here but most of all Labber. Way cheaper to buy your food but nowhere near as much fun ! At the LPWMU (Long Point Waterfowl Mgmt. Unit) the yearly average ducks per hunter per day is 2.4 (approx.) so if you can better that by popping one on the water .... go for it ! As said ; shoot just below the bird and let some of the shot "skip" up into the head you'll end with a nice roasting bird that way. Warning ! Shooting your decoys can be counter productive.... wait for a clear shot ! LoL !
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    Snowwalker

The intent of the law I think was to stop hunters from including live birds in there spreads years back when market hunting was taking place, it was common place to have birds staked to the ground. These birds were not wild, I am very confident that having a wild bird today landing in your spread while others birds continue to work your spread will not get you into any sort of trouble.
    Ok guys I can't quote multi post right now. SO please bear with me.

I know about the market hunting thing. There is also people that will leave a cripple swimming around instead of finishing it, knowing that it will attract other birds.

Now as a CO makes his/her rounds they see a set of decoy on the pond and one or more live birds swimming around. As he watches you and your buddies hunting no one swats the bird and wonders if you may be letting a cripple suffer. The CO walks down to the blinds and asks questions. Now jf it is a diver and your decoyes are mallards I am sure you can just say you don't want divers.
    On the other hand if it's all puddle ducks and the live bird would NOT put you over a limit( Black limit for example ) it would be hard to convince someone you are not leaving the bird there with the intent to use it to attract others. Which one of the posts here said that they in fact do.

Now if the CO TELLS you to swat and retrieve it, you had better hope to heck that the reason it was not flying was because it is in fact crippled.

The habit of leaving a cripple to swim was so common in one of the areas I hunted, that the DNR ran stings. I mean they had guys hunt with the people and then give evidence in court.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post

I know about the market hunting thing. There is also people that will leave a cripple swimming around instead of finishing it, knowing that it will attract other birds.

Now as a CO makes his/her rounds they see a set of decoy on the pond and one or more live birds swimming around. As he watches you and your buddies hunting no one swats the bird and wonders if you may be letting a cripple suffer. The CO walks down to the blinds and asks questions. Now jf it is a diver and your decoyes are mallards I am sure you can just say you don't want divers.
    On the other hand if it's all puddle ducks and the live bird would NOT put you over a limit( Black limit for example ) it would be hard to convince someone you are not leaving the bird there with the intent to use it to attract others. Which one of the posts here said that they in fact do.

Now if the CO TELLS you to swat and retrieve it, you had better hope to heck that the reason it was not flying was because it is in fact crippled.

The habit of leaving a cripple to swim was so common in one of the areas I hunted, that the DNR ran stings. I mean they had guys hunt with the people and then give evidence in court.
    Man, some of the stuff I read here blows my mind. I can't believe people who think like this actually have a hunting license. Where do you come up with this stuff???

S.
    Last edited by Sinker; May 11th, 2015 at 09:12 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    Man, some of the stuff I read here blows my mind. I can't believe people who think like this actually have a hunting license. Where do you come up with this stuff !

S.
    NO kidding !!!!! Letting a wounded bird swim around without retrieving it is a totally different issue, and an offence I might add !
    That section makes it an offence to pen up or stake out birds, wild or not, for the purpose of calling or attracting other fowl.......as previously posted.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Google "Call Ducks"

They were bred to be used as live decoys.

Birds landing in your decoys and staying there is not a live decoy it is a wild bird that has not taken off. If you are shooting other birds and that one is sticking around it is not your fault it is that stupid.

As to the OP, shoot when you have a save ethical shot, I shoot grouse on the ground and I would be given a lot of flak by some on here for it. When I go grouse hunting and I hike about 5 miles in a day and only see 1 or 2 grouse you better believe I will shoot them on the ground or sitting in a tree.

We usually wait for geese to land in the spread to bring in other geese before opening up, no use flaring a big flock for a pair of birds that dropped in early.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

dead is dead personally I see little difference to the bird, it is destined for the pot. The way I look at it is if you can land them consistently you are on your game.
    Barry Keicks

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

You may want to think of 15(1)(b) since you are using them with intent to attract birds.
    HUNTING METHODS AND EQUIPMENT

15. (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) and section 23.1, no person shall hunt a migratory bird

• (a) except with a long bow and arrow or with a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge;
    • (b) by the use or aid of live birds, including non-migratory birds;
    See this only applies if the bird is restrained or restricted from leaving. A wild unrestricted bird swimming in your decoys doesn't mean your hunting with it ....means you done a dam good job setting up your hide.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

The troll train is now boarding!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    Man, some of the stuff I read here blows my mind. I can't believe people who think like this actually have a hunting license. Where do you come up with this stuff???

S.
    From sitting in court as a witness for the DNR. See last post about DNR running stings.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

From sitting in court as a witness for the DNR. See last post about DNR running stings.
    Thing is the charge would be failure to immediately retrieve (if they can prove you shot it) not hunting with a live decoy if the bird was not place by you. To state otherwise your story belongs at scuttlebutt lodge.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast