Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: No Motivation

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Opening morning no birds, second morning 2 toms on property, third morning 1 jake , 2 toms and 5 hens, 1 black bear and several deer. Kind of neat watching a black bear forage a corn field at 5 am. I don't hear as many birds in the morning as other years. also working 10 hours planting corn, and hunting makes for a long day. Last fall during the bow hunt, the bird numbers were way down, and we had deep snow this winter. Other years we would see many more jakes. Seeing birds strutting on other properties that other people hunt.
    Many toms are silent, and I've shot more without the decoys than with decoys. Makes the trek into the woods easier , carrying less gear. Calling without decoys if the tom is interested is by far the best method in my opinion. I've got one tom, bought a second tag and won't give up till the thermo-cell is dead. I've sat in a tree stand far longer for deer with no results.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hey they are quiet but still out there ive see lots and missed on two of them so far my x bow was off by two inchesto the right the first time i thought it was cus of akward shot ok but this sunday i shot straight on and the bird was still standing so i sat and let them walk away and went home to resight and ready for them this comin weekend ill test ffriday just to be sure im not giving up gotta get some meat lol hang in there boys they are out there !!!!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

The birds have been pretty quiet here also but they are there. Last Saturday my dad and I stuck it out and around 10a.m. 2 toms came out of nowhere. Of course I was overly excited and blew a shot at 15 yards and shot right over the tom. Ouch.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I think we need to encourage more of this apathy. The turkey woods are getting crowded.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I stopped the 4:00 am craziness a few years back
    Isn't that the time you usually wake anyway MP??? Lol
    "The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly."

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by be2man View Post
    I think we need to encourage more of this apathy. The turkey woods are getting crowded.
    Smart, try to get rid of hunters, thanks for the support.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by be2man View Post
    I agree, way to many hunters in norfolk county, we get alot of people coming from the city's wandering around the public land here, its getting brutal...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrierman41 View Post
    Isn't that the time you usually wake anyway MP??? Lol
    Yes it is, but my morning routine doesn't include heading into the bush to sit with the mosquitoes...LOL...

I have to say I understand were Fox is coming from in regards to the motivation. I haven't picked up my second tag yet and I may not even bother. It's getting harder to find the 'guilt' free time to get out. I will have to see if things settle down towards the end of the month.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I've always found turkey season a hard balance. Spring is "everything" season. There's so much else to do and so much else to get done. I can sympathize with Fox on this one. Personally, even though I intend to get out more often, I'm lucky if my turkey season is more than 5 or 6 hunts.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntitall View Post
    I agree, way to many hunters in norfolk county, we get alot of people coming from the city's wandering around the public land here, its getting brutal...
    Ouch! That one hurt. I'm from "the city" and I was down there a couple of weeks ago. The next day I posted a thread saying how awesome, welcoming, and helpful the people in Norfolk are. I guess I'm not welcome by everyone. I'll stick to shooting rats on the subway with my bb gun.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast