Thread: gun registry and access to information

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default gun registry and access to information

http://www.mississauga.com/news-stor...-registry-law/

I caught the very tail end of this on the news on the way home tonight. Took a bit to find it.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Much ado about nothing. How could there be a request for information from something that no longer exists? Don't forget that Metroland Newspapers is owned by The Toronto Star.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Proud supporter of OFAH,CCFR,NRA and A.F.& A.M.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think the point of that somewhat confused piece is that the requests for information were made before the registry was abolished, and that the RCMP refused those requests and perhaps even deleted information in advance of the new law coming into effect. Essentially, there seems to have been a rush to get redacted registry info before it was deleted, and the RCMP refused to provide it although they were still legally bound to do so.

Chiefly interesting because it is exactly the opposite of what pro-gun activists seem to think the RCMP was up to.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Welsh/Trimmer the Registry most likely still exists someplace. Most likely stuck on some hard drive of a Database analyst's PC or a USB drive or something. Rarely is data ever deleted. I have deleted databases (shutdown) but it isn't hard to export the data to a text file or excel and stick it someplace for safe keeping.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Welsh/Trimmer the Registry most likely still exists someplace. Most likely stuck on some hard drive of a Database analyst's PC or a USB drive or something. Rarely is data ever deleted. I have deleted databases (shutdown) but it isn't hard to export the data to a text file or excel and stick it someplace for safe keeping.
    Anyone caught accessing or using illegal personal data,for any reason,would constitute a grievous breech of security and privacy. The RCMP were absolutely doing their duty to prevent such a breech. That would be exceedingly stupid of the pro gun control crowd. What possible purpose would be served with that info other than criminal/terrorism intent? They need to bail right into this and leave no stone unturned. Something very untoward by the media and the gun control crowd is obviously going on here.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm not saying it's legal, but I will guarantee you it is sitting someplace.

Mulclair has in the past alluded to the fact that if remnants of it were found he would use it to piece the registry back together.

To the best of my knowledge I cannot remember a time that I have ever destroyed data there is alwasy a copy someplace.

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Anyone caught accessing or using illegal personal data,for any reason,would constitute a grievous breech of security and privacy. The RCMP were absolutely doing their duty to prevent such a breech. That would be exceedingly stupid of the pro gun control crowd. What possible purpose would be served with that info other than criminal/terrorism intent? They need to bail right into this and leave no stone unturned. Something very untoward by the media and the gun control crowd is obviously going on here.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Politicians like Mulcair can trash talk all they like. Using illegally obtained info,whether it's obsolete/deleted or not, will land him in the bucket,too. Those idiots are certainly not above the law. All they could do is re-introduce new legislation to create a whole new registry to Parliament should something catastrophic happen in Ottawa like what happened in Ontario and Alberta if a Liberal or NDP wins the next federal election. If that happens,a new gun registry will be the very least of our worries.