Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs gums red.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vom Dufenshmirtz View Post
    David, I base my advice on personal experience and professional recommendations.

Here, the first google hit
    http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print...dentistry.html
    Based my recommendation on being a Dental Hygienist (RDH). Hydrogen Peroxide is a strongly oxidizing compound that will denature proteins essentially killing the tissue delaying healing. Although once commonly recommended and used as an antiseptic we now know its negatives out weigh its benefits. Won't find peroxide used in the dental industry other than whitening teeth. Even than a less reactive form of carbomide peroxide is used of which only very low concentration is used in general public use. Although higher concentration is used in office its use requires isolation from the soft tissue. If a client presents with severe gingivitis unrelated to plaque treatment would consist of thorough debridement of calculus and biofilm followed by a regiment of homecare to reduce plaque accumulation and an antibacterial rinse such as peridex to limit bacterial growth. Along with a referral to assess for any health related factors. Would imagine same for a dog so a Vet check is in order.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I never had any gum or teeth issues with any of my dogs and have always promoted a big shank bone to chew on as preventative care. I switch it out from time to time with a chicken flavour nylon bone from Pet Smart.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Great plan for tartar ,but enflamed gums can be caused by more serious issues. That's why seeing a vet in this case is recommended.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/..._dg_gingivitis
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Based my recommendation on being a Dental Hygienist (RDH). Hydrogen Peroxide is a strongly oxidizing compound that will denature proteins essentially killing the tissue delaying healing. Although once commonly recommended and used as an antiseptic we now know its negatives out weigh its benefits. Won't find peroxide used in the dental industry other than whitening teeth. Even than a less reactive form of carbomide peroxide is used of which only very low concentration is used in general public use. Although higher concentration is used in office its use requires isolation from the soft tissue. If a client presents with severe gingivitis unrelated to plaque treatment would consist of thorough debridement of calculus and biofilm followed by a regiment of homecare to reduce plaque accumulation and an antibacterial rinse such as peridex to limit bacterial growth. Along with a referral to assess for any health related factors. Would imagine same for a dog so a Vet check is in order.
    oops
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

So curious what has been the outcome?
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Would not recommend hydrogen peroxide worst thing you could do. In a person would recommend a cholrohexidene rinse like peridex. However would check the ideology ASAP
    chlorhexidine x2
    but it stains your teeth yellow if you use it for long - don't think your dog will care

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Sorry. Haven't been on the forum for a while.

Anyways, I think it may have been caused by chewing. The oldest boy was using a rubber ball to play with the dog. The dog popped it and the kid just left it out there. I didn't see it as she had it behind the shed. Think she was gnawing on it for a week.

I took that away and rinsed her mouth twice a day with a product called 'Slurp n' fresh'. Seems to have cleared things up and her breath smells better than mine. Lol. She gets a butcher bone once a week normally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12