Thread: No more 3 year Cell phone plans

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default No more 3 year Cell phone plans

Now that June 3 has arrived and 5 million+ Canadians have been freed from their contracts, are you one of these people?

Last month I had $150 left to buy out my contract. June 3 came and I'm free to go elsewhere if I want. I have been getting text messages and calls from Bell saying to sign a contract with them and get a special bonus offer of $100off towards a new phone.

A friend who works at Rogers was saying cellphone companies will NOT allow you to keep your current plan if you do a hardware upgrade. Reason being they have to tack on another $20+/month to the plan to help pay off the phone within 2 years compared to 3. So pretty much you lose your plan and have to pick a new one which they have jacked up the price to help pay off the phone.

He was saying If you can do a simple math you don't need to deal with hardware upgrade. check where can you save if you signup for another 2 years or buy the phone outright

Example:
    keep my existing plan and buy the phone straight out.
    $50 * 24 months =$1200+$800 iPhone 6 = $2000

renew my contract with phone upgrade @ $90 retention plan
    $90 * 24months =$2160+$299 iphone6 =$2459
    Last edited by Mattones; June 8th, 2015 at 06:08 PM.
    BOW HUNTER
    08 Diamond Justice
    Exalibur Exomag

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Or... pick up an old flip phone (or if you are lucky a BB) for free from a friend or family, and get a pay as u go plan with texting for $10 per month. And the best thing is... no video games so more time to hunt!
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Or... pick up an old flip phone (or if you are lucky a BB) for free from a friend or family, and get a pay as u go plan with texting for $10 per month. And the best thing is... no video games so more time to hunt!
    That's what I did,only I bought a new flip phone for $79 and kept my old pay-as-u-go plan from Bell Mobility. I got sick and tired of the Blackberry with the tiny little numbers and letters. Now,I don't need to wear my glasses to use the new one all the time. For all we use it,texting isn't an issue. Most of the time I'm out,I use On-Star,anyway.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.