Thread: Disturbing News; ORV deaths

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Disturbing News; ORV deaths

It's still early spring and already 9 people have died off roading in Ont....what is suppose to be fun time often turns tragic and largely by preventable accidents

some of the reasons, see below;

Please drive safely, we had a hunting buddy from camp whose girlfriend die when he lost control of his ATV. He has never recovered from the guilt.

Ontario Provincial Police say this year has already seen the highest number of off-road vehicle deaths since 2009.

They say that by this time last year, there was just one ORV fatality on record within their jurisdiction.

A nine-year-old boy and a 17-year-old are among nine people who died in recent ORV deaths investigated by the OPP this year.

Police say that their investigations have revealed that alcohol was a factor in five of the incidents, while speeding was involved in three of them.

They also say five of the people who died were not wearing a helmet.

Police are urging all ORV users to wear a helmet every time they ride, regardless of how short a distance they are travelling.

"This spike in fatalities serves as a harsh reminder that unsafe off-roading keeps costing riders of all ages their lives, leaving families devastated and struggling to understand why their loved ones did not stay safe while out riding," said Chief Supt. Chuck Cox, commander of the OPP highway safety division.
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/06/17/...since-2009-opp
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I wonder what is the relationship between the 5 no helmets and drinking?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The 17 year old that died in Bancroft a few weeks ago was an avid hunter and snowmobiler too. The OPP said he was wearing a helmet and no alcohol was involved. Just an unfortunate incident.

From MyKawartha about the Burnt River death:

OPP say the boy was injured when his ATV rolled. He was taken to hospital where he died of his injuries.
    I witnessed a kid lose control and run off the trail. Luckily he wasn't hurt.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I believe a lot of the accidents are due to absolutely no hands on training through a bona fide course. Secondly a lot of the larger machines are so overpowered that the average person is not able to properly control them. Common sense, such as parents allowing youngsters to ride probably caps it off.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Up around Bissett creek I would say I see Speeding to be the major problem and staying on your side of the road.

I cannot count the number of times an ATV on the wrong side going around the corner at high speed has almost hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    I believe a lot of the accidents are due to absolutely no hands on training through a bona fide course. Secondly a lot of the larger machines are so overpowered that the average person is not able to properly control them. Common sense, such as parents allowing youngsters to ride probably caps it off.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Oh Oh..... maybe time for a special ATV test or licence. Like that has stopped all the boating accidents

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I don't know, some of it is just idiots who are being idiots. It would seem to me driving around a corner at full tilt on the wrong side is just plain stupid. I don't drive my truck at full tilt through the bush and I never had any formal training on motorcycles, truck or ATV's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)