Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me boat, I have a few questions

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Hey... Don't speed up Summer to much I have only been camping 3 times.
    He has been on vacation and is retired, he no longer understands the working man :P

Ha ha ha, all in fun, all in fun

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I have been camping every weekend at the trailer...we call it Glamping now. 30ft gulfstream with A/C and sleeps 10....lol She thinks I like boating on new lakes...but always looking for potential duck sites too...lol.20150620_140916.jpg
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I know I would be safe with any of the motors, assuming the boat itself is seaworthy. Weither you drive it in a safe manner is up to you.....If the hull is wide and deep it will take the larger motor, but a longer hull will give you more speed...

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I would have no concerns about putting that 20 on a deep wide 12' boat. Are you sure it's only 12'? Just take it easy until you learn how it handles.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I wouldn't put anything larger than the 10horse you already have. I had a buddy that had a 10' firebug lass with a 20 or 25 on it and he could almost stand it up vertically when he punched the throttle.

true, the boat was more of a toy than a tool, and there was only a fuel tank, safety equipment, passenger and the operator in it, but you don't want to lose all your gear with your new boat doing that. My $0.02.
    Learn all you can about nature. What we don't understand, we fear and what we fear, we destroy.
    Teach a young person to hunt and fish, after all, someone taught you.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 35wailin View Post
    I wouldn't put anything larger than the 10horse you already have. I had a buddy that had a 10' firebug lass with a 20 or 25 on it and he could almost stand it up vertically when he punched the throttle.

true, the boat was more of a toy than a tool, and there was only a fuel tank, safety equipment, passenger and the operator in it, but you don't want to lose all your gear with your new boat doing that. My $0.02.
    Weight on the transom is a concern too, the 99 Merc is half the weight of the 56 Johnson.

Still no pictures was away all weekend.

I measured the boat, it is just under 12ft, so not a 14 footer, just a 12 footer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I went and took a few pictures and did a little more digging. The paint is not original, there was paint over the name.

The boat is a Thornes, it looks to be exactly the same boat as my grandpa had, he used a 70s era 18 on it all the time.

Here are some photos.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

very nice boat.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

The boat looks in decent shape. I'd definitely not go over the 10 hp though just to be safe.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Perfect sized boat for launching on Muldon Rd Fox...you'll have great fun on the Rideau with a boat like that, lots of old guys have similar boats out there. Easy to handle by yourself and will be able the traverse the weed beds with ease.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast