Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Recruitment

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    This is well documented: a large majority approves of hunting for food, but approval for "trophy hunting" is quite low.
    That's true even on a Forum full of hunters..trophy hunting is frowned upon by many traditional 'meat' hunters.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    That's true even on a Forum full of hunters..trophy hunting is frowned upon by many traditional 'meat' hunters.
    I think its the other way around. Read more post from trophy hunters stating how it should be 8 points and better or long beard toms or nothing. Actively discouraging the taking of anything that's not a trophy in their eyes. The only time "meat" hunters frown down is if the meat where appropriate is wasted.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    I think its the other way around. Read more post from trophy hunters stating how it should be 8 points and better or long beard toms or nothing. Actively discouraging the taking of anything that's not a trophy in their eyes. The only time "meat" hunters frown down is if the meat where appropriate is wasted.
    That is very true...unless it's up to their standards, your not a 'real' hunter.

We've had numerous threads on here about Hunting inside fences (Canned) hunting and QDM practices and lots of guys who hunt to 'fill the pole' have been vocal with their disdain for that aspect of the sport. It has let to some very divisive discussions.

Your first point is very valid when we are discussing recruitment. There have been a few time on here when a 'new' hunter has posted a pic of his first Bow kill and it's a small fawn/doe and the some guys feel the need to criticize.

Don't get why they feel that helps in anyway.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Yup my take is doesn't matter if its #1 or #100 if its legally taken in an ethical manor than good on you. I get ruffled when someone states don't do that as it'll hurt my chance at a "trophy". Last discussion along this line was the recently reopened herring season on Simcoe. Thought based on science and great a couple of tasty fish to add to the perch fillets however some were outraged at the opening since a decrease in herring may reduce their chance at catching a 20lb Lake trout.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Yep and you can put my name at the top of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    I was waiting for someone to bring that up. Organizations like QDMA,for example, come to mind and really wrankle my feathers,but,I digress. With the current backlash and vilification of trophy hunting that's drawn the attention of the world of late,it's quite evident that many hunters have those sentiments,also,which is not going to do us any favors on the recruitment side.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Yep and you can put my name at the top of that list.

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. Organizations like QDMA,for example, come to mind and really wrankle my feathers,but,I digress. With the current backlash and vilification of trophy hunting that's drawn the attention of the world of late,it's quite evident that many hunters have those sentiments,also,which is not going to do us any favors on the recruitment side.
    Think the problem here is a convergence of forces. The problem most hunters are having is this occurrence is in no way a legal hunt. The message from our community should be we support hunting done ethically following established rules and regulation and if you break them we support the full weight of the law to fall on you. If you follow them than all you do good on you.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There's more to ethics than law, though.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

There's more to ethics than law, though.
    Yup that's why my response is worded that way not only legal but ethical consideration ....though moral concerns can be kept to ones own.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you're saying that we should keep our moral or ethical views to ourselves as long as people are within the law, I disagree.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you're saying that we should keep our moral or ethical views to ourselves as long as people are within the law, I disagree.
    Just a question on that...If I can legally shoot pocket gophers with my TAC-50, but you think it's unsporting are you going to be mean and call me hurtful names? 😭
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.