Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have we lost our Monarchs as well?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Have we lost our Monarchs as well?

Is anyone else noticing the same sobering thing ? It's now almost in to August, and I have not found a single Monarch caterpillar on any of my growing milkweed. I own 150 acres, and I purposely leave milkweed for the butterflies when I bush hog. I intentionally searched all the milkweed yesterday - not one single caterpillar. No adults either. The couple I thought I saw were Viceroys. Makes me sick. We've already lost our bats, our native bees, most of our frogs, and most of our aerial insectivorous birds. National Geo says we had a NA continental population of 50 billion Monarchs in the mid to late 90's. I remember 2 to 5 caterpillars on every milkweed plant. WTF are we doing?

Dave

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

http://monarchwatch.org/bring-back-t...n/the-details/
    Looks like there is almost nothing left of the population in the Mexico wintering grounds.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

We haven't seen any in Muskoka either...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have not seen any this year , and only 3 or 4 the end of last summer as they were migrating south, area between Kitchener and Hamilton. we and our neighbor across the road [we live in the country], purposely grow flowers and plants to attract them but to no avail.
    We have also noticed a lack of other butterflies that were very common around here.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hardly a scientific study , but in the conservation area yesterday, my husband and I were saying that we'd never seem more milkweed or monarchs. I didn't look for caterpillars, but I'm going to start to do that too.

.... no Yellow Swallowtails seen - my favourite
    Last edited by Sharon; July 31st, 2015 at 01:49 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I seen my first for the year last weekend out birding latest first sighting in 5 years and only have seen 2 yellow swallow tails and a handfull or red emerald's way down this year for all

Leads by example

User Info Menu

It's almost on par with the Passenger Pigeon if these bugs go too. Used to be as common as a blade of grass. I wonder if the neonics will be on the list of decline cause for these as well. The bloody dog-strangling vine (swallow-wort) will probably be the nail on the coffin for any remaining Monarchs that manage to make it up here. We had our normal amount of red admirals and swallowtails this year.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Yep seeing all the species just vanish isn't good Man is the culprit in all of this and will be it's dismay

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Monarchs? I havn't seen a milkweed in 10 years.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I have some property on the Sydenham River and had to cut all the milkweed down unfortunately on the front half. I left the back half uncut and will be going tomorrow to cut some firewood. I have seen allot of the common white butterflies but no monarch's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast