Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry shotgun while filling feeders?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

So we choose to enter the wild to bait wild animals then we want to carry a gun for protection? Doen't seem fair if we choose to bait them? I say give them a chance
    "I may not have gone where I was supposed to go, but I ended up where I was supposed to be"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

In New Brunswick,it is illegal to carry a gun out of season and bear guides are not allowed to carry anything while baiting for a client. my buddy had a few close calls. Me I drive right to the bait and when I run across a few Bears talk to them and clap my hands.Some young Bears just do not want to leave,but move off while I bait.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would have thought NB would have changed it laws after 30 years eh and they still havent.

Can you hunt on Sundays yet? I heard they were looking at changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    In New Brunswick,it is illegal to carry a gun out of season and bear guides are not allowed to carry anything while baiting for a client. my buddy had a few close calls. Me I drive right to the bait and when I run across a few Bears talk to them and clap my hands.Some young Bears just do not want to leave,but move off while I bait.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I had a friend talk calm and clap, the massive bear turned towards him and snapped his jaw. I am pretty sure my buddy needed new shorts about then.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I actually asked a question like this to a CO once. My circumstances were a bit different. I was dating this girl at the time and her family had a cottage up on Mississauga Lake (close to what is now the Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park) and a bear had decided to make itself a member of the family near a lot of people's cottages (so much so that the bear showed it wasn't afraid of humans during a few confrontations). I asked the CO if I could carry a rifle for protection during walks and I was told if he caught me, he would charge me with hunting out of season and I had best find another way around this problem.

Dyth

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Who cares what every once else says, if you feel that it is safest for you to bring a shotgun then bring a shotgun.

I have baited for bears and I always brought a gun in to the bait, most of our baits were in areas where you could be ambushed and I did not really care what anyone had to say, I felt safer with one so I brought it.
    Definitely the best answer IMHO

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If there is a season open and you have your small game license, in southern Ontario for example where coyote season is all year long, you are absolutely legal to carry a shotgun with buck shot or slugs as that is legitimate ammo for yotes. A CO could not charge you in this situation providing you are not breaking any local bylaws...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The question I have, is would you use it to scare the bear off, or to shoot it? It would be out of season and not really classified as a nuisance bear, as you brought it there on purpose.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBondar View Post
    If there is a season open and you have your small game license, in southern Ontario for example where coyote season is all year long, you are absolutely legal to carry a shotgun with buck shot or slugs as that is legitimate ammo for yotes. A CO could not charge you in this situation providing you are not breaking any local bylaws...
    The problem is that they could charge you, if it sticks or not does not mean they cannot charge you.

Dyth's comment was one from a CO that really did not have any clue about what was going on or just trying to be a jerk but this may be the case.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The problem is that they could charge you, if it sticks or not does not mean they cannot charge you.

Dyth's comment was one from a CO that really did not have any clue about what was going on or just trying to be a jerk but this may be the case.
    If they could charge you in this scenario then they could basically charge you all year every day.... There is no difference carrying a shotgun in winter for coyotes compared to summer when coyote season is still and always open...

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast