Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Surplus Moose

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Where are the improvements? They make this 3 days long and the useable tags are all gone in an hour! What a joke! These tags should be awarded through the regular draw as an additional step. Most hunters who get these tags will never use them.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

We didn't bother trying to call as we don't need the extra tags. Sucks for the groups that didn't draw and won't be going moose hunting this year.

I guess hoarding tags is a good way to get rid of competition :-)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Are the surplus tags for far northern WMU gun hunts or for archery seasons exclusively?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'm in the group with 4weight. Our surplus tag was for a WMU N/W of Thunderbay. We were unsuccessful in the regular draw. Unlike others, we intend on using our tag.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Are the surplus tags for far northern WMU gun hunts or for archery seasons exclusively?
    Usually 21a.. and out there..
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I knew if I said anything there would be flack!

No I am not incredibly dumb. No I am not poaching! I fully understand party hunting and communications and distance. BUT I did pay my $58 like the rest and I did NOT have a tag - now I do! What did I do wrong? Everyone is entitled to a tag and we all gambled the same gamble buying a tag and playing the DRAW game. Some get lucky, others manipulate the draw, others transfer and others get them in surplus. The way this entire bow hunt has been calf slashed will have every bow hunter looking over their shoulders for Mr CO. I hunt under 3 km from my partner but sometimes cell service is sketchy. Most times our 36 mile walkie talkies are sketchy. Depends on terrain, cloud cover etc. There's no way I wanted to walk out of the bush with Mr CO waiting and try to explain why at that particular spot I can't get a hold of my partner. To those who got tags - good luck - to those that did not - I feel for you all and wish everyone could go - and yes there have been many years I was on the outside looking in. But not this year. We're going to a unit that resembles a desert when it comes to moose. We got tags - so what? I think we're throwing away $9,000 for 9 guys _ so I hope I'm wrong. If it's anything like the last 2 yrs this will be my last time and I'll make tracks in some other province or state for something else. bears maybe for 3 weeks!

And lastly I will not shoot a cow. Maybe I did something good here and will protect and help a cow get through the year and maybe help return moose to their past #'s. It's not about the meat this time. I just don't want to be under the discretion of some CO and get a huge fine for illegally hunting moose because communications broke down. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
    Dumb? I think I'm looking pretty smart now. Wish me luck and next year I will wish everyone else the same luck!

Again good luck to all!
    Last edited by SK33T3R; August 17th, 2015 at 08:31 PM.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    I knew if I said anything there would be flack!

No I am not incredibly dumb. No I am not poaching! I fully understand party hunting and communications and distance. BUT I did pay my $58 like the rest and I did NOT have a tag - now I do! What did I do wrong? Everyone is entitled to a tag and we all gambled the same gamble buying a tag and playing the DRAW game. Some get lucky, others manipulate the draw, others transfer and others get them in surplus. The way this entire bow hunt has been calf slashed will have every bow hunter looking over their shoulders for Mr CO. I hunt under 3 km from my partner but sometimes cell service is sketchy. Most times our 36 mile walkie talkies are sketchy. Depends on terrain, cloud cover etc. There's no way I wanted to walk out of the bush with Mr CO waiting and try to explain why at that particular spot I can't get a hold of my partner. To those who got tags - good luck to those that did not - I feel for you all and wish everyone could go - and yes there have been many years I was on the outside looking in. But not this year. We're going to a unit that resembles a desert when it comes to moose. We got tags - so what? I think we're throwing away $9,000 for 9 guys _ so I hope I'm wrong. If it's anything like the last 2 yrs this will be my last time and I'll make tracks in some other province or state for something else. bears maybe for 3 weeks!

And lastly I will not shoot a cow. Maybe I did something good here and will protect and help a cow get through the year and maybe help return moose to their past #'s. It's not about the meat this time. I just don't want to be under the discretion of some CO and get a huge fine for illegally hunting moose because communications broke down. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
    Dumb? I think I'm looking pretty smart now. Wish me luck and next year I will wish everyone else the same luck!

Again good luck to all!
    This doesn't at all explain why you've applied and got so many cow tags you have no intention on using. It does nothing with regards to a CO, if you shoot a bull you need to be in communication with the bull tag holder, having a cow tag doesn't help you. In another thread you mentioned you were going after tags so there would be less hunters around you as your group was trying to accumulate as many cow tags as possible which would result in less guys getting them in that WMU.

I guess I am judging here, not for my own well being, but for the number of groups that won't be moose hunting this year because of the excessive tags your group has that you plan on burning. If you planned on using them that's a whole different story.... I really feel bad for the guys that will be sitting at home this year.

I've heard of groups of people getting tags they had no intention of using, I've always assumed they were anti's, it never crossed my mind it would be fellow hunters...

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Jeff

Have you ever hunted moose .. ?

Yes we got a couple LUCKY tags in the surplus - BUT there were almost 100 tags left over after the draw If you needed one of those so bad then you should have applied. even with leftovers from the northern draw there were still 100ish tags left. Anyone applying even solo in pool 2 cow have gotten a tag in the draw! Surplus is almost always left overs from the northern draw which is held after the MAIN draw that you and I would be in. There was only about 35ish tags in the entire northern draw. There was 100 tags left over. Obviously there was no desire for anyone to go there or apply in the WMU. So I got a tag that no-one else wanted originally!

We have 9 guys how the h#ll are 9 guys going to hunt within 5 km of the tag holder.

Ok! If it makes you feel better I will shoot a cow
    Last edited by SK33T3R; August 17th, 2015 at 08:28 PM.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    Jeff

Have you ever hunted moose .. ?

Yes we got a couple LUCKY tags in the surplus - BUT there were almost 100 tags left over after the draw If you needed one of those so bad then you should have applied. even with leftovers from the northern draw there were still 100ish tags left. Anyone applying even solo in pool 2 cow have gotten a tag in the draw! Surplus is almost always left overs from the northern draw which is held after the MAIN draw that you and I would be in. There was only about 35ish tags in the entire northern draw. There was 100 tags left over. Obviously there was no desire for anyone to go there or apply in the WMU. So I got a tag that no-one else wanted originally!

We have 9 guys how the h#ll are 9 guys going to hunt within 5 km of the tag holder.

Ok! If it makes you feel better I will shoot a cow
    Yes I have very successfully hunted moose, I have a 50" mount hanging on the wall. Our group has taken 10 in the last 5 years. We have a bull tag this year, I was hoping for a surplus cow to cover all possibilities. I'm overly excited just to be going.

Your logic on surplus is not correct. Generally there are surplus tags because there were not enough Pool A groups applying for the guarantee.

You do realize that if you do not follow the rules regarding proximity of the tag holder you are illegal? I would not blatantly post my illegal intentions on a public forum. A cow tag does not extend your boundaries if you are shooting bulls..
    Last edited by 300Sniper; August 17th, 2015 at 08:51 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Jeff

I too am overly excited about goin moosin!

But I'm not running anyone down with innuendo's and accusations and quoting legalities and backing them up with assumptions.

I wish you would stop assuming that I'm illegal! I know the rules better then most!

and you better go back and get someone in your group to explain how the draw really works! Guaranteed, large group allocation, then everyone is single and if they're in a group those members are removed. and then if there's any tags still left WHEW! then it goes to pool 2. yes you can still get a tag if you're in pool 2 in the draw. usually by this time the tags are exhausted. Then they conduct the northern draw and left overs from that draw are usually the bulk of the surplus. The unit I'm in had 100 tags because no one asked for them either as a first or second choice. Some were from the northern draw for sure but there was a lot from the main draw too! If you were hoping for a surplus cow in the same unit you got the bull in - maybe you should have applied for the cow.

Sooooo? Are we good now?

Where are you guys heading to? gun or bow?