Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Possession Limits for Ducks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Possession Limits for Ducks

Hey all I was asked a question the other day about possession limits for ducks and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere so I thought I'd ask you all.

As we all know there is a limit to how many ducks we can have and that limit applies to all the ducks in our freezer as well as in the field. We are also able to gift ducks to anyone as long as we follow the regulations on gifting ducks.

So the question is if you were to gift 18 ducks to your wife can you then have 18 ducks of your own in the same house?

I have been reading regulations most of the day trying to see if this would be ok and can't find one regulation that says 2 people in the same house can't have a limit each. It would seem that as long as a CO could tell whose birds were whose then it would be ok.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

This may come across as harsh but it sounds like your trying to cheat the system. LOL gifting birds you shot to your wife to double what you can legally keep. As a licenced hunter stay to you limit. If you wish to gift 1 or 2 birds this may be reasonable dumping limits is abusive. Now as for legality you may want to contact a CO and ask your question directly to them.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You are allowed YOUR possession limit.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

As per this regulation
    A person may give a migratory game bird to another person for the purpose of mounting or human consumption, or for the purpose of training dogs as retrievers, if the bird was killed under the authority of a migratory game bird hunting permit.

• SOR/95-432, s. 2.

Seems you are limited to A single duck not a possession limit so I think your quest is out of gas

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I believe they can be gifted to whoever, but they need to be labelled with the permit number, hunter, etc.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    As per this regulation
    A person may give a migratory game bird to another person for the purpose of mounting or human consumption, or for the purpose of training dogs as retrievers, if the bird was killed under the authority of a migratory game bird hunting permit.

• SOR/95-432, s. 2.

Seems you are limited to A single duck not a possession limit so I think your quest is out of gas
    I don't think it is suppose to actually mean only one duck.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

How do you read " give a migratory game bird" A bird has always meant 1. Couple meant 2 few meant 3.
    It would read
    A person may give migratory game birds to another person....
    if they really meant more than 1
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; August 22nd, 2015 at 07:24 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    As per this regulation

• SOR/95-432, s. 2.

Its not restricted to one bird, The Migratory Birds Regulations allow legally harvested migratory game birds to be gifted to others and the recipient does not require a Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit in order to possess such birds legally harvested. There are several requirements for possessing or transporting such gifted birds, however. Birds taken by a hunter that are subsequently possessed by another person must be individually tagged, and have a fully feathered wing attached. For tagging, the hunter must attach a tag to each migratory game bird he gives you, and each tag must contain:
    1. the name and address of the hunter and his signature;
    2. the Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit Number under which the birds were taken; and
    3. the date the birds were taken.

Also, ensure that you do not exceed the possession limit for that species of migratory game birds which are gifted to you.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

As I stated in the original post I was looking for a reg that would state whether more then one person in a house my have a limit of birds. The original example of gifting to your wife was what someone asked me but if that question is offensive to some people lets say it this way.
    Two people living in one house both have a licence to hunt ducks go out and shoot ducks, are they both able to have 18 ducks in the freezer?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Please ask yourself why have a possession limit if one could circumvent that requirement by stashing the extra birds so easily.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast