Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grand again

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default grand again

anyway on the grand yesterday at inverhaugh , i talked to someone who helped with the stocking 1500 browns 8 to 12 inches long put there water clear can see small fish 6 inches nothing big walk up to where swan drops in than around the island down river to a large knee to waist high area a 100 yards long nothing but small chubs where are these browns ,i talk to ministry they don,t know think maybe lots die over winter, or move down river while i was a mile down river from where there were put in .so next spring i guess i am going to fish there soon as they put them in the second week in may maybe than i can find some , i know in gorge and some places hold big browns , put all these years of putting fish in and theres is no fish something is wrong there , there should be more fish its catch and release.
    Last edited by grasshopper999; August 23rd, 2015 at 10:11 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I'm not sure but I think that where they stock fish the fish don't stay they disperse throughout the entire river where the water is cold enough for them just because they stock fish right there it might not be good for them stay maybe its just easy for them to get the truck in there also some fish get eaten by bigger fish or birds and some times the heat of the summer gets the water too warm and people still fish for them and they get too stressed and die even though they are released then there are no fish for next year and the big fish are experienced and will be hiding where they can't be easily caught.

That's basically it, in a nutshell. Goodluck!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

yes may be the water is shallow there maybe waist deep at most there is two cold water streams there but no fish of any size there i am not to sure of up river of swan i didn,t go there

Just starting out

User Info Menu

i been talking to ministry were trying to figure out whats going on and maybe get a better idea where better spots might be ,you seem like you know alot maybe you could help sugest better spots to put the fish

Just starting out

User Info Menu

They have been stocking the grand for 20+ years. There are frequently 20" trout caught in there. I have seen resident brown trout over 24". They don't need any advice from me. If you stock fish where it is unfavourable, they will simply swim to where it is more favourable for them. The fish aren't dumb.

The reason lots of fish aren't right where they were stocked is directly related to the most basic survival instincts. Water that is the right temperature, has the right cover and has the right food source. If 1500 fish stayed in the same 100m stretch of river, they would have to compete harder for food and cover. And the predators would have a field day.

The fishery is supporting as many large fish as it can. Keep working on your technique, approach and fly selection. Do you crouch when you approach a good looking pool? Does your shadow cast across the water? Does your line splash down or is your leader thin enough? The fish in the popular parts of the grand have been well educated by hundreds of fishermen before you. It's not hard to catch first or even second year stockies. Catching a larger, educated trout on the grand is not nearly as easy.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

thanks for your advice hope to have better luck next weekend , i did hook in to a three pound one at gow park but it got off .

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Ive fished the grand a fair amount this year caught my fair share of 1 year fish maybe a few 2nd year have not caught anything that for me is worth getting excited over. The larger fish are the toughest fish i have ever tried to catch i have lost a few of them. Enough about my trials. If your able to make the trip try the northern end just below bellwood lake. There is lots of big fish and awesome scenery. Keep up with the hatch charts ask questions most guys on the river are more then happy to give advice however i doubt they would be so inclined to tell you what fly they have on haha. Presentation ive noticed is what really is the difference between stockies and the bigger fish and if you happen to venture up to below bellwood think small and im not talking 18's dry flies up there can get real small so read up on your entomology try to get a feel for whats going on in the water. The temperature are they rising for flies are they just sipping the water payong more attention to whats around you is a good start. Anyways hope this is useful information and if you already know this then keep at it. If it was easy would it be so addicting? Haha Tight lines

Just starting out

User Info Menu

thanks for your help

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
    They have been stocking the grand for 20+ years. There are frequently 20" trout caught in there. I have seen resident brown trout over 24". They don't need any advice from me. If you stock fish where it is unfavourable, they will simply swim to where it is more favourable for them. The fish aren't dumb.

The reason lots of fish aren't right where they were stocked is directly related to the most basic survival instincts. Water that is the right temperature, has the right cover and has the right food source. If 1500 fish stayed in the same 100m stretch of river, they would have to compete harder for food and cover. And the predators would have a field day.

The fishery is supporting as many large fish as it can. Keep working on your technique, approach and fly selection. Do you crouch when you approach a good looking pool? Does your shadow cast across the water? Does your line splash down or is your leader thin enough? The fish in the popular parts of the grand have been well educated by hundreds of fishermen before you. It's not hard to catch first or even second year stockies. Catching a larger, educated trout on the grand is not nearly as easy.
    Don't confuse the boy. There is no such thing as an "educated trout".

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Caught this beautiful lady on the upper most stretch of the Grand on May 6.

Rod 7' 3wt cane of my own taper design
    6x tippet size 16 Shammy

DSCF2101.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast