Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A blaze of glory: What legal hunter orange looks like

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

All this commotion and people still forget that they'll never see a CO out in the bush

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

LOL. That's the truth.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by x_xeon_x View Post
    All this commotion and people still forget that they'll never see a CO out in the bush
    Especially at this time from all the senior officers retiring,they're stretched ridiculously thin. The saving grace is that there's more OPP officers who hunt and fish and are really stepping up,but,they can't do it all,either. Something needs to change.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by x_xeon_x View Post
    If you hunt in 16c you will be checked most every day by the C O's . They even stopped at our camp site twice after 10 p m .

Member for Life

User Info Menu

People seem a bit idealistic about CO's and police. In some cases they are not correct. When it comes to firearms laws especially many police just don't know the laws or choose to interpret it with personal bias.
    Use your heads and wear blaze. It can save your life or you from making a tragic mistake.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Just bought a $180 strap vest, with some hunter orange on it.

As soon as I seen the article, I panicked, put on a hunter orange vest, then my strap vest. I then tried to pull the front halves over the black straps to cover them up with orange......kinda worked.

So now I know better, and what a CO will let go, or better, accept. Otherwise a strap vests would be illegal to wear. Also, does it have to be a vest? How about a hunter orange jacket, or pullover??

This artical was probably just filler, gave very little information, and just caused confusion.

My two cents.
    Don.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Strap vests are great but none meet minimum blaze legislation. I wear additional blaze garments with mine. You only need to comply with blaze requirements if hunting in a zone with an open firearms season for big game at the time though. Doesn't matter if you are bird hunting or big game hunting. If the season is on you need to comply with blaze regulations.
    Last edited by terrym; August 25th, 2015 at 10:33 PM.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zoli 16ga. View Post
    Also, does it have to be a vest? How about a hunter orange jacket, or pullover??
    I was going to say, no one in the camps around here wear 'vests' at all....everyone wears Blaze Jackets or Coveralls. My wife made me a Hoodie out of Blaze fleece that gets worn more than anything else.

CO...what's a CO..haven't seen one in the field in 16 yrs..

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I wear a blaze orange jacket in the controlled hunt ,,as we hunt in December and it is warmer ,never had much luck with a vest over a winter coat ,,Dutch

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    I wear a blaze orange jacket in the controlled hunt ,,as we hunt in December and it is warmer ,never had much luck with a vest over a winter coat ,,Dutch
    I like a jacket but the wife is just getting into hunting and womens clothing is a pain to find and no mens clothes actually fit women properly so an orange vest for over her womens cut camo coat is all we can do on our budget and it is 100% legal.

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Strap vests are great but none meet minimum blaze legislation. I wear additional blaze garments with mine. You only need to comply with blaze requirements if hunting in a zone with an open firearms season for big game at the time though. Doesn't matter if you are bird hunting or big game hunting. If the season is on you need to comply with blaze regulations.
    How can you say it does not meet the requirements? Have you measured them? I bet on a 200lb guy most of the strap vests with the entire lower section in blaze orange would meet the requirements for 400 sq inches.

That being said, you only need blaze orange to be legal when there is an open gun season for deer, moose or elk, upland game hunting and small game hunting has no orange requirement legally speaking unless there is a big game gun season open.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast