Thread: Track and Recover Wounded Game : Seminar Eastern Ont.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Track and Recover Wounded Game : Seminar Eastern Ont.

Saw this seminar listed in the local paper, may be of interest;

John Jeanneney will be giving a FREE presentation on Sept 10th (Thurs eve) at the Roebuck Community Hall on how to train dogs to track and find wounded big game.

Blood tracking or blood trailing is a method of using tracking dogs, usually on a long tracking leash, to find wounded big game such as deer and bear. A tracking dog is usually used when there is little or no blood that the hunter can see. The dog tracks by following the blood scent and other body and footprint scents of the individual animal being tracked.
    In various parts of North America the philosophies regarding blood tracking differ considerably. In our part of the United States, the Northeast, leashed tracking dogs are used when all other attempts to find the wounded animal fail. Therefore, our goal is to breed cold nosed, patient wirehaired dachshunds capable of working a scent line that is many hours old.
    http://www.born-to-track.com/
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

There’s definitely a need for educating more people on this topic. A free seminar sounds like the perfect solution. Not overly difficult to train your dog yourself if you know exactly what to do.
    However, I really have to question their proficiency if they state “leashed tracking dogs are used when all other attempts to find the wounded animal fail”.
    And then it goes on with advocating for a certain breed/kennel.
    I don’t know that person or anything about him and it might all be just great, but with the limited info on hand I would be very cautious. Teckel are good trackers, no doubt whatsoever, but they were NOT bred for tracking, but for work (i.e. to survive) underground. A trait most people don’t have an appreciation of.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hey, for a free coffee and a few cookies, I'll listen to anything he has to say.....filter it later for real scenario application

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

LOL
    that sounds about right to me!
    perhaps I picked on the wrong things anyway, but it's hard for someone who has no/limited knowledge of a certain subject to decipher a message (right or wrong) that is provided by a perceived expert.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Any dog can be used to track, some take to it better than others but they can all learn. We had hunting dogs that worked well but pet dogs are sometimes better, no clue why, labs are great trackers.

If they start pushing a kennel or a breed that may be their thing but until then I would take it for what it is.

I really like this idea of having the ability to call for help rather than loose a deer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I wonder how these little guys would do in a foot and a half of freshly fallen snow.I guess they could tunnel their way to a dead deer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A friend of mine breeds and shows these...your right, it wouldn't take much snow to slow them down.

I wonder if she would let me borrow her very expensive show dog to track a wounded deer thru the swamp LOL.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

most common way of transportation: