Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Massasauga rattlesnakes

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by last5oh_302 View Post
    I've never seen one, and not for lack of looking. My understanding is if you do get bitten (like you said, better chance at winning lottery - in just seeing one I think) their venom isn't all that strong and will usually only give flu like symptoms.
    Flu-like symptoms? Don't be fooled,they can give you quite a whack and screw you up big time. The only saving grace is that their venom doesn't act quite as quick as a full size rattler,but,it can kill just the same if you don't get to a hospital for antivenom treatment ASAP.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Flu-like symptoms? Don't be fooled,they can give you quite a whack and screw you up big time. The only saving grace is that their venom doesn't act quite as quick as a full size rattler,but,it can kill just the same if you don't get to a hospital for antivenom treatment ASAP.
    Oh ok, I stand corrected. I just did some reading on them and yeah, you definitely need treatment if you get zapped. Good thing I never found one and tried to cuddle up with it..
    Rick

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huntnfish View Post
    Wow there is intelligence to the highest degree. Hey won't don't you take up a safer sport like curling.
    Where in the H did that come from? Do YOU, think it is OK to kill protected snakes? I think not!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

having spent the better part of the last 20 years in the parry Sound / Point Aux Baril area, I have seen my share.

They are elusive, and shy. If you sustain a bite, you were either harassing the snake, or you just plain stepped on it. Best time to see them is Early Fall, mid-morning, or early evening. They will come out on the rocks to suck up the heat.

Every sighting was treated as a blessing, most should view it that way. They are hardly the agressive, Timber, or Sidewinders like their cousins in the South.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

There was once a good number of them in the Niagara Gorge. Have not seen one in at least 50 years................Daniel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12