Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: fall salmon fishing

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default fall salmon fishing

the salmon run is near some parts it is here already i know some of us anglers look forward to it i my self enjoy the fight and to get some eggs, some times i will kept one, i know lots of us hate to see what goes on , i also hate it as well , i try to do the most i can to help stop it, most times if i catch a female i usually squeeze the eggs out and leave some in the female and release the female , i see to many females who were caught eggs taken and left there what a waste if you wait till they are ready to spawn you can squeeze them out , i see people stepping on them and just kicking them in not taking any time to revive them, how is it they are king on the lake than garbage once there are in the river and yes they are going to die anyway , but let them do their thing , if you want to catch one do it the right way in the mouth , and if you want to eat it great , if not release it , and treat it with respect , we don,t treat trout this way why these big powerful fish which we enjoy to catch .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by grasshopper999; September 5th, 2015 at 08:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I completely agree! I mainly fish the eastern tribs of Lake Ontario. Who doesn't enjoy the fight these powerful fish put up. Now I am strictly catch and release and take the time to carefully revive the fish, but the carnage I witness on the river nearly every visit is unbelieveable. Taking a sponing female and squeezing a ziplock of roe out is one thing, but gutting a female for the skeen and tossing her on the bank is another. Just a friendly reminder, be courteous to the fish and your fellow fisherman (because we all know it is going to be crowded). There is more than enough salmon for everyone to have a good time.

tight lines everyone

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

It's actually more than being courteous it's about being morally and ethically sound. I'm pretty sure the MNR states that an animal harvested, wether hunting or fishing must be fully harvested and consumed. Or let the thing go. The fact that people would do that shows that maybe we need to tell the MNR to force a competency test to make sure people aren't doing these things.

We humans are pitiful sometimes and these stories REALLY get my blood boiling. I stopped creek fishing because of too many idiots out there. The final nail for the coffin was a group of idiots wading into the bowmanville Dam (you know, the one with signs everywhere saying NO FISHING!) and netting salmon with lights. I almost went and tore them a new A-hole but decided I didn't want to spend time in jail so I walked away and called the MNR. I save the number on my phone so when I see idiots I call.

It's my duty as fisherman, hunter to report morons and will NOT hesitate to give people a piece of my mind. Sorry for the rant but I get really upset when hearing these stories.

Folks, unless you are willing to keep a fish and eat it throw the thing back with respect and dignity. I want my daughter and grand kids to be able to catch a fish one day and not have it be a virtual fish or in a museum
    Last edited by Muskyhunter1001; August 30th, 2015 at 10:25 PM.

Swims with the Fishes

User Info Menu

It's always a gong show on the eastern tribs. I don't care if people want to keep a limit of salmon even if just for the roe, it's a put and take fisheries, but I hate when they slit and dump. If your going to kill the fish take it home use it for fertilizer or anything else but then to kill and dump at the river bank. Along with all the other garbage that they leave behind. Port hope has so many garbage cans that you have to walk past to get back to your car and no one uses them. And also I've never understood the deal with salmon roe, personally I think it sucks to use for trout bait
    That rug really tied the room together

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I agree roe sucks for fishing thats why i fly fish for trout and catch more then most people in a day it is a put and take fishery but the garbage is so disgusting i dont go near the rivers until the salmon are gone and the people with them just wrong
    Rip yanken em!!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

The salmon run is a total gong show - nothing but snaggers and hooligans.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

i agree with everything thanks i go for the fight and the site of watching them go up stream and to see what i can do to educate and make a difference , a lot of beginners out there some don,t even know the difference between a male or female that if you wait till they spawn you can squeeze the roe out ,how to catch them, i use flies mostly , roe ,even worms ,another thing i don,t like is night time fishing ,when do these fish get a rest from us , i just don,t like the idea i figure nothing but no good is going on , i understand everyone should have time to fish sure ,but what about the fish give them a break

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Last year was my first year fishing for salmon and steelhead, I was shocked at the sights as many of you have also witnessed. From Gutting the fish for eggs and tossing the carcass into the river to using large trebles with massive weights to snag. I was flyfishing as well as float fishing and with my float rod I only ever used worms or beads and I was very successful. I understand if you want to eat the fish to keep. I don't understand the harvesting of the roe especially with the cheap prices on beads and the fact that leaving the roe for nature to take its course only helps improve the fishery which is what we all want to begin with. So if yo have never tried using beads maybe give it a shot 20$ container and you only lose the bead if your line breaks so 1 bead could mean 20 fish, worth a try.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Was wondering where fishman/attack went.............
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Swims with the Fishes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBates View Post
    Was wondering where fishman/attack went.............
    Hahahahahahaha post of the day.
    That rug really tied the room together

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast