Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Massassauga Rattlesnake On Camp Trail

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Nice pictures, you can definitely see the difference between them and a fox snake. I got some pictures of a big 50" fox snake I found this year along my pond.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

AS mentioned. Massassauga Rattlers rarely strike / bite. Even when doing so in defense, they often don't inject venom, as it's a quick strike - release. It requires a sustained bite to actually inject venom. Most bites logged in recent past have ocurred when they were in fact stepped on, or as mentioned....some drunkard decides he's the next Steve Irwin, and "Crikey...me arm!"....

Notwithstanding, they are not to be treated lightly. It's still a venomous snake, and in the locales they frequent, the ER with the anti-venom is often a fair bit of travel away.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Beautiful snake. I saw once once on a trail just past Wiarton.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Like someone mentioned, Ontario does not have any poisonous snakes. They are all safe to eat. Just don't get caught eating a rattlesnake as I believe they are protected now....
    When highway 69 was being built up past Britt and Bing Inlet the truckers were always killing them as the blasting seemed to disturb them for miles...Back then the only good rattler was a dead rattler, same as snapping turtles.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234