Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer meat smells a bit funky

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    The last few deer seasons have been unseasonably warm and wet in our area,making it necessary to really hussle the meat to a cooler within an hour or two of field dressing. That makes it necessary to have a plan in place before any shots are fired. We saw a couple of crews with the generator/freezer combo sitting on trailers ready to go which was a very good idea.
    That's what our crew does while moose hunting. Chest freezers and generators, just in case the weather isn't going to let us hang the animal. Another option is to secure a local outfitter / butcher / camp with access to a walk in freezer or cooler that you can temporarily keep your animal in. There are some that will do this for a fee, some won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

FishFrenzy

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    Any chance it's freezer burn smell? By this point in the year I find some of the ground meat will have a slight freezer burn smell.

it was vacuumed packed... and we got a few stinkies last year too

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Splaker View Post
    it was vacuumed packed... and we got a few stinkies last year too
    I was wondering earlier if you meant only some of the packages were off. If so, then a flag would sure go up in my mind. Sounds like you got someone else's meat mixed in. How well do you know the butcher shop?

Cheers

User Info Menu

You have a built in safety system, your brain and nose know how to detect the smell of bad meat. You just know...don't question it, it is instinct. You could roll the dice and hope your gut flora takes care of the bacteria but is that a gamble you want to take?
    Girl Gone Wild

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LadyinRed View Post
    You have a built in safety system, your brain and nose know how to detect the smell of bad meat. You just know...don't question it, it is instinct. You could roll the dice and hope your gut flora takes care of the bacteria but is that a gamble you want to take?
    My sentiments,exactly. Salmonella can give you a bad case of flu-like symptoms for up to a week. Botulism,E-Coli,Lysteria and Trichonosis are whole different ball of wax. Sometimes,if not fatal,it can screw your life up forever. It's simply not worth the chance.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Salmonella almost killed my father.He was off work for a year before the doc gave him the ok to go back.I think too many guys insist on hanging their meat to tenderize it and if it warms up during the day it doesn't matter how cold it gets at night.Would you take your steaks out of the fridge and leave them on the counter every day for a week then freeze them and eat them 6 months later.
    A lot of people I know are like slinky's.They're not good for much but they are fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

User Info Menu

Lamb meat smells so bad to me that I can't eat it, same with some pieces of grass fed Angus beef. (Strangely, I have no issue with any game meat)
    So maybe this few stinky pieces are just more gamey!?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

For me & my family, any suspect food goes to the bin, immediately. Absolutely not worth the risk.

BTW, had a beyond epic experience after a nice seafood dinner overseas (it looked, smelled & tasted great). Don't even want to remember about!
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

User Info Menu

FWIW, I had vacuum sealed store bought ribs turn GREEN in the fridge once. Bacteria is nothing to mess with.
    Girl Gone Wild

User Info Menu

This thread is still going ! lol When in doubt throw it out !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast