Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Chronic Wasting Disease Testing

Apprentice

User Info Menu

One reason why we don't have CWD is #1- predators #2- Harsh winters and preventative measures such as banning deer urine.

What happened in Wisconsin is fact!!

Wheres the link Mike?

Warner, what about the Loring deer yards mentioned earlier on this forum, perfect storm!!
    Last edited by chris lavoie; October 5th, 2015 at 10:14 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris lavoie View Post
    One reason why we don't have CWD is #1- predators #2- Harsh winters and preventative measures such as banning deer urine.

Wheres the link Mike?

Warner, what about the Loring deer yards mentioned earlier on this forum, perfect storm!!
    I don't see Loring as a problem. Are the deer eating natural feed or at feed piles there??? Natural I thought.

I think banning natural deer scents was about as dumb as it gets. That was figured out by someone sitting in an office somewhere.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris lavoie View Post

Wheres the link Mike?
    sorry Chris..see below.

Wisconsin's problems are explained in details with graphs !!! haha

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...67587713002894

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I was expecting you to come up with some data like this. I will read it, but it will take awhile to analize it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It's a complex solution to a health crisis affecting the Whitetail populations Chris, but the science is there to support what they are doing in most states now.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

A good reminder of the importance of following the import guidelines for bringing deer into Canada. Meat only, no carcass. Customs finally started to enforce it last year at the border coming back from NY and they were still catching guys coming back with whole deer. Even after customs telling some that they weren't allowed and given the chance to bring it back to the States they ignored them only to be reported to the MNR, guys were getting a nasty visit and fine the next day.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

They have been enforcing it for years, not just last year.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

We had our deer checked last week in camp and i asked this same question to the biologist......he said you would be surprised how much CWD is surrounding us (Ontario) and it is only a matter of time and it will be found somewhere in the province....so i asked what would happen when found....his words were......the entire herd in the area would be culled/wiped out.....now what size of an area were talking i dont know....the whole WMU maybe or just that township im not sure but he said it would be quite significant.....they would bring in the sharpshooters and they would litterally hunt them day and night, spotlight the fields etc etc etc then all carcasses burned.....

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

My concern in this area is that I have seen deer swim from Michigan to Ontario. There are several islands in the Detroit river that have a good population of deer . They swim back and forth on a regular basis.
    Always wondered if they will be the ones to infect the deer in Ontario.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Hi Chris,
    I think I kind of see where you might be coming from, on this matter. Some human being comes down with CWD, so they gather up all the rest of the individuals in that local, line them up and gun them down, and burn the bodies. No they don't, instead they isolate the infected individual, and then bust their backsides to come up with a means of prevention and a cure, less the disease spreads to others in the population. Why the double standard, in the case of sub-human species? IMHO,it's kind of like paving a pathway to extinction not only for them but eventually for us.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Last edited by Gun Nut; December 20th, 2015 at 09:13 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast