Thread: Pike attack

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Pike attack

I got out fishing yesterday afternoon for a few hours. It was a beautiful late September day - sunny, warm, light winds and I had the river to myself. I caught 3 nice bass like the one below on my spinning gear and a bunch of sunfish and perch on my fly rod. Nothing spectacular and I wouldn't have posted anything except for what happened just before I gave up for the day.

I was making "one last cast" and a little small mouth bass hit my blue original floating Rapala. It was hardly bigger than the lure. The bass was so cute I wanted to take a photo of it. I dangled the bass over the side of the boat with my left hand and reached for my camera with my right.

Right then a pike nailed the bass! Smashing into the side of the boat repeatedly and splashing me with water. I nearly dropped everything!

The pike was hooked by the Rapala - don't know what happened to the poor little bass.

What made it so exciting was that I was in my little 10' aluminum jon boat which has about 6" of freeboard so I was right there with the pike.
    Member of the National Firearms Association (NFA).

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Nice looking catch thanks for sharing the pics and story.
    https://t.me/pump_upp

User Info Menu

nice is that a Mitchel 300 reel ,,,there are my dads favorite ,He is always looking for them at yard sales ,,,Dutch

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Those pike are real mean - just looking at their eyes tells you how mean they are - thanks for the pictures

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

That reminds me of a time when I was a kid fishing with my dad and 2 older brothers in Bobcageon. We were on the dock preparing to get in the 12 ft alum. to embark. My dad had a crazy looking lure on with a propeller at both ends and was working it back and forth in the water to check out the propellers. Me and my brothers were laughing at this lure telling the old man it wouldn't catch anything. Then a 2 ft pike came up from under the dock and pounded the lure. The young snauszer we had jumped out of the boat to attack the pike and started to sink. I reached down just in time to grab him by the scruff before he got out of reach. That was a crazy 20 seconds of bedlam. He lost the pike of course with only 2 ft of line on the rod.
    My brothers and I still have a good laugh about that when we get together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    That reminds me of a time when I was a kid fishing with my dad and 2 older brothers in Bobcageon. We were on the dock preparing to get in the 12 ft alum. to embark. My dad had a crazy looking lure on with a propeller at both ends and was working it back and forth in the water to check out the propellers. Me and my brothers were laughing at this lure telling the old man it wouldn't catch anything. Then a 2 ft pike came up from under the dock and pounded the lure. The young snauszer we had jumped out of the boat to attack the pike and started to sink. I reached down just in time to grab him by the scruff before he got out of reach. That was a crazy 20 seconds of bedlam. He lost the pike of course with only 2 ft of line on the rod.
    My brothers and I still have a good laugh about that when we get together.
    That's a good story! Poor dog.

I have an old surface lure like that - I think it is called "Nip-I-Diddy" by South Bend (propellers at both ends). I've caught a lot of fish on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    nice is that a Mitchel 300 reel ,,,there are my dads favorite ,He is always looking for them at yard sales ,,,Dutch
    Yes, Dutch that's a Mitchel 300. They're all I use. I pick them up a auctions, yard sales too.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Awesome story! great catch