Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upland Dog Rehoming

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. I'm not expecting to get a great dog for free and I am prepared to travel.

Its really a tough balance, the preference I have is to help a dog in need, there are so many out there. Unfortunately I want a dog that serves a purpose as well. The more capable a dog is at serving a purpose, the less in need it will be. Where I lie on that spectrum is currently being explore. Ultimately since I only wish to get another dog that will serve me well with upland hunting, it's not a great outlook to help a dog in need. But I'll continue to explore what type of balance can be struck.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

You already have 2 rescue dogs. That's admirable. But its not your job to solve other peoples unsitisfactory dog issues. You have already done some research to identify the type of dogs you want. So - go out and buy it. I think there is strong value in having a hunting bred dog from the puppy stage as opposed to a rescue adult. I like your choices - I would love a Brittany pup.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

A rescue dog needs a home with unconditional love. The only recue situation that might produce a positive result for the both of you is one in which the hunter has died and the executor has to rehome the dog. Can't see any half decent sporting dog being given up so easily.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Good luck. Some suggestions...

1. If you know what breed you'd like, start calling breeders in your area and ask if they know of any dogs needing rehoming. Tell them you are looking for a hunter, or a dog with prey drive...one can teach an older dog to hunt if the instinct is there.

2. Join a provincial hunting bulletin board or upland board. Be prepared to travel to get the dog.

3. Contact a specific breed rescue. General rescue orgs. tend NOT to place hunting dogs in hunting homes.

4. Get the history of the dog. Find out why the dog was given up. Best dogs with little issues to overcome are dogs surrendered due to declining health of owner, divorce or due to a move. Dogs 2 or under tend to be given up because the owner did not spend time training etc.

5. Older dogs tend to wind up in rescue. Some have a few years left capable of hunting yet most people do not want to take them. Depending on the dog, worth looking into.

6. When you take on a rescue/rehome, you are taking on the mistakes and successes in training of the previous owner. Be prepared to spend time reversing the mistakes.

7. Be wary of adult home placement ads...generally indicative of aggressiveness, or not socialized around children.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

if you already have re-homed dogs you know what it means!
    so the only thing to say is to keep the feelings out as much as possible when choosing the dog. if you not sure you'll be able (with quite significant effort) to get there, don't take the dog.
    your odds are that the best (potential) hunter is the terrible pet nobody wants; it just happens that he had not the opportunities he should have had and found his own way to keep him busy. it's significantly more effort to de-train and retrain an airheaded berserker than to give an old well mannered dog a retirement home.
    unless you find that well trained hunter whose owner just passed away, you'll like end up with a 2 year old bundle of nightmares. however, it's not only quite rewarding to overcome these, but you'll also end up with an incredible hunting companion.
    there's always something on kijiji (even for free and sometimes quite scary if you ask some basic questions). not a hunter organisation, but they might help with shipping
    https://www.facebook.com/PointingDogRescueCanada

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Can't see any half decent sporting dog being given up so easily
    brood es retired from breeding
    health issues of the owner
    family issues

I know someone who adopted retired setter from game preserve, hell of a time house breaking 8 yo dog who lived all his life in a kennel.
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

and that is the truth! I bought a 3 year old kennelled dog and also had a very hard time housebreaking the dog.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Well, update to this situation.

After lots of thinking and getting advice, it was decided that if we really wanted to add an upland dog to the house all the while having the best opportunity to have a great hunting partner, it was to be a puppy.

The last 3 weeks have been filled with lots of information overload. I went to a trial and watched some best up and coming setters and pointers from New Brunswick and New England work on wild grouse and woodcock. I chatted with many great people there and learned a lot. I spent lots of time researching titles, lines, kennels, though not sure how much I actually figured out. Then there was still the matter of breed.

Setters were at the top of the list based on recommendations and generally what I saw/read. For some reason I just couldn't find much love for the Pointer even though many people said they were far better 'out of the box' and were easier to train from the onset.

I had also met a local with a very well trained GSP. He graciously accepted my request to join him on a hunt. It was a pleasure to watch his dog in the field. Relatively close, methodical working. Steady to flush and shot and retrieve to hand (6 WC and 2 grouse points in an hour). Local breeding. It's easy to be convinced when you have the privilege to hunt behind a dog like that, especially someone who has little experience with well bred and trained gundogs.

And after all that........I went where my heart seemed to be. 12 years ago I went to a friends house that had a Brittany. I immediately loved the breed. Not sure why, but I did. I went through the application of adopting a rescue from the national organization a few years back, met a few, but it never panned out.

Today I put a deposit on a Brittany pup. From what I can tell, the pedigree suggests I should have plenty of dog to just 'head out strolling in the woods with' in the fall.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Excellent choice. But I am a bit biased....
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Don't mean to resurrect this post, but noticed your pic of you new Britt in another posting. Welcome to the club. Great choice the Brittany fun never ends. My boy who is almost 8 still thinks everything is awesome each and every morning. Have fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast