Thread: First woodcock.... with many more more too come

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Default First woodcock.... with many more more too come

So tried a different corner of the bush today thinking the grass would be greener on the other side. In past years would of found the 2 too 3 family groups of woodcock but this year it was slim pickings there. Was it to dry? Most years would have found puddles throughout the property. The pup did put the hammer on one though. Solid point long enough for me to flush it must say did a nice trick shoot through the dense canopy brought the first one of her career down. True to form though she didn't want anything to do with picking it up. Haven't had a dog yet the relishes picking up their first woodcock
    .DSC00139.jpg
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; September 27th, 2015 at 04:15 PM.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    So tried a different corner of the bush today thinking the grass would be greener on the other side. In past years would of found the 2 too 3 family groups of woodcock but this year it was slim pickings there. Was it to dry? Most years would have found puddles throughout the property. The pup did put the hammer on one though. Solid point long enough for me to flush it must say did a nice trick shoot through the dense canopy brought the first one of her career down. True to form though she didn't want anything to do with picking it up. Haven't had a dog yet the relishes picking up their first woodcock.
    Congratulations we moved a few grouse this morning

If the dog won't put it in her mouth, should we?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My dog picks them up then spits them out. Considering I have seen him eating poop it does make you wonder?
    Last edited by terrym; September 27th, 2015 at 05:43 PM.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

the last dog she would make patty out of them had a hard mouth so with her deal was she find them and I'd pick it up. Problem with woodcock especially if its hot and dry they got so many loose feathers that it can really turn off the first time dog. Eventually they all get the hang of it.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Congrats on your first of the season and the pups first of her career.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Canadian Waterfowl Supplies Pro Staff | Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Nice, congrats to the pup.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Awesome! I worked all weekend. Heading out tomorrow morning.
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Awesome
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Looks like great pic
    Congrats to you and the dog
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    My dog picks them up then spits them out. Considering I have seen him eating poop it does make you wonder?
    Interesting! I've observed dogs in my native country behaving the same - appears to be a universal thing.