Thread: Fed premium bor-lock ML bullets.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Fed premium bor-lock ML bullets.

I just picked up a pack of these after some debate(not cheap) But I bit the bullet so to speak and bought them. WOW.I am using a CVA wolf with 2 777 pellets. They are by far the flattest shooting and most consistent rounds i,ve tried yet. There was only one glitch.They are designed to have the jacket expand and seal the bore after ignition.However with the bore on the wolf there was not sufficient sealing pressure to allow it to work properly.The first round just kinda went poof and pretty much dropped out the end of the barrel.I decided to try using the ram rod to do it instead.Using this method I was able to make kill shots easily out to 100 yrds without touching my scope once.( I was not shooting from a bench) I wouldnt hesitate to take a deer at 150 yrds with these.It does require a palm saver to get them to snap into the bore, I could fee a definite pop when they locked in so after the first dud I never had a single miss fire.I think they would be fantastic in a gun with a tight enough seal to allow them to work as intended. However they are still better shooting than the power belts i,d been using and I will be sticking with them.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrvD3I1hygg Found this.Pretty much confirms what I expected.My first one may have been a dud but i,ll keep using my method for the hunt to be safe. I will be on the market for a new ML for next season. I.m thinking this remington 700 will be on my short list.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks for the posts on these. Your the first person I've heard any feedback from on them. They sounded interesting when they hit the market as it opened more ML opportunities in some of the states.

For those that haven't seen what this bullet is about, there was a thread about 1yr ago with a video etc.

http://www.oodmag.com/community/show...Lock-MZ-System
    Last edited by MikePal; October 31st, 2015 at 03:24 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Now that I have hunted with them I can safely say that every ML hunter should give these a try. I have shot 2 deer with them this past week. One was from only about 30 yrds and was a pretty easy shot, the other was about 125 yrds in a thick swamp with very little room for error. Both deer where hit in the lungs and dropped in their tracks They make a nice clean pass through without doing a ton of damage.They are fantastic bullets.Thinking back to the very first one I had shot that was a failure, I realize that it may have been my fault. I had cleaned the gun with pre lubed patches before going out. But because I was target shooting I did not run a dry patch through. The barrel would have been very slick from the stuff on the patches and that may have caused the failure. It would need a certain amount of resistance in the barrel to allow the jacket to expand. In any case that was the only failure. Every one since has been perfect. They are not the cheapest round but personally I would rather pay a bit more for a bullet I know is going to go exactly where I want 100% of the time. These are the only muzzle loader rounds I will ever use. Period!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcxextreme View Post
    Now that I have hunted with them I can safely say that every ML hunter should give these a try.
    I plan on getting a pack the next time I see them. At $30 for x15 or $2 a piece, they're twice the price I pay now from my favorite bullets...But really that is only $1 more...I think I can afford it

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I shoot the 250gr yellow TC Shockwave, they do the job for me and shoot straight in my Encore.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I plan on getting a pack the next time I see them. At $30 for x15 or $2 a piece, they're twice the price I pay now from my favorite bullets...But really that is only $1 more...I think I can afford it
    They are too pricey for just going out for fun at the range, but for hunting its a no brainer. One pack should be good for a few yrs worth of hunting at least so over the long run it really isnt bad.I am only using the cva wolf which is an entry level gun and shorter barrel and I,m getting fantastic accuracy with them. Pretty impressive IMO.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing. That would be interesting to try. Price is not for range for sure but for hunting it does not make any difference.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I hope some others give them a try. I love muzzle loader hunting and these just upped the enjoyment a bit more. I tend to like when people think outside the box.These rounds are actually supposed to help clean the bore as well.The plastic base scrapes the bore on its way out.I cant say for sure if it does much or not but it cant hurt. In the future I will carry some cheaper loads as back ups.If for some reason the first shot doesnt kill the deer and a second is needed I will use the cheaper round for that. I dont think its going to be an issue very often but its always good to be prepared.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I've got a pack of these. Idea is neat but they don't seal well in either of my smokeless guns