Thread: First shooting session with my new Savage 10ML ii

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default First shooting session with my new Savage 10ML ii

Finally got out to shoot my new Savage 10ML ii today.

All I can say is WOW!!! I should have bought one of these years ago.

First shot to check my sight @ 20 yards was low but dead center. I did the one shot sight in trick. Held the gun on dead center and my buddy adjusted the cross hars for me to the impact hole. Let the gun cool for 15 min & shot 2 was 1 inch above dead center.

Shot 3 out @ 50 yards dead center but 3 inches high. Did the same adjustement technique & let the gun cool again.

Shot 4 was perfect. 1" high @ 50 dead center.

Shot 5 clover leaf to shot 4...

That's all the time I had @ the range today & will go back next weekend to see where it hits @ 100 yards.

My initial impressions compared to my old Omega.

The small amount of loose powder is nice & easy to handle.
    Loading the sabot & bullet harder than the omega but by the 4th shot was no big deal.
    No smoke!!!!!!!!!! Simply awsome!!!!!!!!
    Primer inserting in the bolt is a bit tricky but easy once I got used to it.
    Accu Trigger- I have not adjusted it yet but breaks clean & no gritty feel to it. Once I adjust it I think it's a winner.
    Did I mention no smoke!!!!!!!
    Easy to load the next shot. No crap in the barrell & no fouling.

My 2 friends had to clean their guns between shot's. I just sat down & chilled to let the gun cool down. No fuss no muss. They were a bit annoyed with me that I had no cleaning to do... LOL

Todays recipe.
    Winchester 209 primer.
    44 grains of accurate 5744 powder
    Hornadly XTP mag bullet. Could not find the regular XTP bullet's anywhere. Mags seem to work good...
    MMP high pressure black sabot

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. I have a few upgrades in mind like changing the stock to a laminate thumbhole & maybe bedding the barrell. But for deer hunting & after today's results I think it will do the job for me in a few weeks for the controlled hunt.

A big thanks to BIG Jack for hooking me up with the proper powder for the Savage!!!

Jeff

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Good shooting!

Glad it's working out Jeff. Bedding will improve accuracy and if you want to do the works send the gun to Cecil at PR once you put on the laminate stock. He will install an additional pillar, crown barrel and bed.

Can also recommend John Grech. He is excellent and will do a hell of a job on the crown!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Congrats on your new nonsmoke muzzleloader. We have two in the family. In one season our muzzies have done a world of hurt on bears and whitetails.